C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to replace ball joint boot?

Old 02-15-2005, 12:18 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to replace ball joint boot?

Both the upper ball joint boots are torn on my project car and need replacing so grease doesn't get all over the supspension pieces I just polished (PITA).

Anyway is there a way to replace the boots without damaging and replacing the ball joints because they still appear to be good and after checking the price on these ball joints I'd rather not replace if I don't have to.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:21 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Got pics of the suspension?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Yes there is - if you can find the tool that fits. it kind of looks like a horseshoe with a bolt through the center. This is actually a pitman arm puller - http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=2451

I have also used a small gear puller. Make sure you back the nut off - just until there are no threads exposed - in case the bolt slips.

I found this - but have never used it.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta61900.html

I would definately avoid the picklefork method.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

Got pics of the suspension?
I'm redoing the whole car, got the front tore down to the frame rails to clean and paint. I'm taking pics along the way and will post the whole project when I'm done probably this summer. If I get a chance I might post some individual pics of the suspension for ya though, although I haven't uploaded them yet so it might be a little bit.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
mean8t
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Energy suspension makes a nice poly kit to replace all the boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Not bad price replace all of 'um while you are in there.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mean8t
Energy suspension makes a nice poly kit to replace all the boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Not bad price replace all of 'um while you are in there.
yeah I know I am looking at that kit. Just want to know how to replace. They don't just simply slip over do they? I thought you had to take the ball joint out to replace the boot, or am I mistaken.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hz900
yeah I know I am looking at that kit. Just want to know how to replace. They don't just simply slip over do they? I thought you had to take the ball joint out to replace the boot, or am I mistaken.
You do not have to press the joint out. They do just slip over. I don't recall the details on the vette as it's been a while since I did it. It was either this car or my Accord where the original boots were held on with some retainers that were a PITA to get off. Other than that no problems.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ball Joint Boots

Originally Posted by hz900
Sent you e mail. If you find out, or have the address where I can get boot replacement's, please let me know. I have one that is shot.
Thanks,
Boatman
Sunny south FL

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace ball joint boot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace ball joint boot?