C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year

Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Mac78and2K
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year

I found a car I would like to buy (66 coupe) but it has been sitting outside for 1 year without being cranked. Previoously it was stored inside for several years but was driven to the current spot.

What is the process for starting an engine that has been sitting for 1 year? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Mine sat for 12 years.I pulled the plugs and poured 1/2 cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in each hole and let set for a week or so.Easiest way was to use piece of copper tubing with a piece of flex hose and a small funnel.I then drained the oil and changed the filter.I pulled carb and put another one on hooked up to a boat gas tank since i had dropped my tank. Rolled the engine over a few times w/o battery hooked up to get the MMO off the tops of the pistons(put a towel or something over the enigne or you will end up(like i did) with the MMO all over the engine compartment.Put new plugs in and fired it up. took a little coaxing but it started. smoked and ran ragged,but it ran
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change the oil, filter....also remove the distributor and prime the motor...hope you have a long extension chord and electricity near by
Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

I just Bought a 68 Vert In Novemember ---which had been sitting 10 years out side ----- my steps were--
1. Pull all plugs and valve covers and soak cylinders with dura -lube
2. Waited 3 hours - and turned engine with a breaker bar --about 1/4 inch to ensure it was not seized .
3. Removed fuel lines and hooked up a remote fuel tank -drain carb float bowls .
4. Made a tube to fit in cylinders and filled with dura -Lube again.
5. Changed oil
6. Came back next day and hooked up - a remote starter and slighlty bumped engine .
7. Contunued bumping starter until I had a full revolution --- and this I ran the starter turning the engine over untill all Lifters pumped back up.
8. After this I ran power to the distributor and fuel i the carb --- and she lived !
This may not be the way all do this ---But it worked for my 68 and now I am in full frame off resto - mode !! .
Brian
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
Change the oil, filter....also remove the distributor and prime the motor...hope you have a long extension chord and electricity near by
With only a year, it should be ok with priming the oil system; then shoot some oil in the cylinders and turn it over. Should be fine.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would cranking the motor over with the power to the distributor disconnected work, without having to pull the distributor?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

This all seems like overkill for a car that has only set for 1 year. From a oil standpoint there is no more or less oil in the engine or lack of on bearings then there would be if the car set for a month or 2. I could see chinging the oil if it needed it and making sure no water was in the gas (look in tank). Otherwise just crank it over to pick up oil pressure and then fire it up. I have went on 6 month deployments and fired up my vette with no problems. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

My car sat for 5 yrs. by the previous owner when I went to go get it 2 yrs. ago. All I did was check the oil level and put some gas in the tank, and pour a little gas in the carb. We cranked it over a few times and it fired right up, smoked a bit and then cleared itself out and ran okay considering it needed new plugs and wires. It hasn't ran now in 2 yrs. again, and I have drained the oil replaced the oil pan and timing chain along with the timing chain cover as well. I replaced the distributor with a new Proform performance distributor, Edelbrock performer 2101, new headers, Accell 8mm wires, new AC plugs, Stewart water pump, new radiator and hoses. I am getting ready to fire it up for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I am thinking of cranking it with the hot lead to the distributor disconnected to get the oil circulated,then connecting it and firing it up. Hopefully everything will be okay when and if it starts.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just brought a 78 El Camino out of a 2 year hibernation. Replaced dead battery, Checked the oil added a quart of Mystery Oil, Checked fuel and added two bottles of Drygas, cranked it over for a minute, No spark. Replaced plugs, wires, module, coil, cap, and rotor. Cranked for a minute, no start. Hit it with starter fluid, crank, fire. Idled it for about an hour and drove off.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gravity...that is the magical word here...gravity will force the oil on the bearings to flow through the oil passages...from the highest point to the lowest point...that is a fact..and after a few months the bearing surfaces may or may not be dry...cranking the motor on dry bearings.....I wouldn't do it...

priming the oil system...what does it take? Hours? I don't think so..the motor may or may not need to be primed, it is insurance to prolong engine life.

disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor will prime the motor, but at the same time turn the crank and the cam....if you're going to do that, just start the motor
Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Point taken.
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:10 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
priming the oil system...what does it take? Hours? I don't think so..the motor may or may not need to be primed, it is insurance to prolong engine life.
This is a small-journal engine presumably, it's a 66. Can you "get away" with firing it up as-is, probably. It's probably worn out anyway, but it would be good insurance to prime the oil system if it's been sitting that long.

I put a 200K+ mile Ford 302 in a truck last weekend. Engine had been sitting indoors for 2 years without being turned. I pulled the plugs and tried to move the engine, it was TIGHT!. I pulled the distribuutor and primed the oil system. You could turn the balancer by hand with some effort then. You do what you want, but it won't hurt to be safe. My .02
Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 AM
CorvetteCruz
6th Gear

Default Beautiful! AWESOME ADVICE...finally!

Originally Posted by Glassbowtie77
My car sat for 5 yrs. by the previous owner when I went to go get it 2 yrs. ago. All I did was check the oil level and put some gas in the tank, and pour a little gas in the carb. We cranked it over a few times and it fired right up, smoked a bit and then cleared itself out and ran okay considering it needed new plugs and wires. It hasn't ran now in 2 yrs. again, and I have drained the oil replaced the oil pan and timing chain along with the timing chain cover as well. I replaced the distributor with a new Proform performance distributor, Edelbrock performer 2101, new headers, Accell 8mm wires, new AC plugs, Stewart water pump, new radiator and hoses. I am getting ready to fire it up for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I am thinking of cranking it with the hot lead to the distributor disconnected to get the oil circulated,then connecting it and firing it up. Hopefully everything will be okay when and if it starts.
Ive spent countless hours researching about firing up my 3yr sitting Vette, (92 specifically....am I the only with this year!?) Anywho, I was smiling like a teenage girl reading the steps you took in the quote above because I felt like "change gas, oil change, turn motor manually, fire up" wasnt enough info!
Would following your steps be sufficient for my electrical haven 1992 model or would any "electrical" problems prevent it from starting up with basic swaps (gas, oil, battery/starter etc.)?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

This thread is 11 years old. That guy makes about 3 posts per year. Just get a good battery in there and start it.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
This all seems like overkill for a car that has only set for 1 year. From a oil standpoint there is no more or less oil in the engine or lack of on bearings then there would be if the car set for a month or 2. I could see chinging the oil if it needed it and making sure no water was in the gas (look in tank). Otherwise just crank it over to pick up oil pressure and then fire it up. I have went on 6 month deployments and fired up my vette with no problems. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

None of this is necessary just turn the key it primes right now.
Keep an eye out for fuel, leaks spongy brake pedal
if alls well then drive it. Thats more than enough caution

Know its old but someone asks every week is probably viewing this as we speak.

Have had cars sit for YEARS, same thing no issues.
Drive the old gas out fill with new

Last edited by cv67; 05-10-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by CorvetteCruz
...92 specifically....am I the only with this year!?...
Probably not, but you may have wanted to post in C4 instead for C3.

Get notified of new replies

To Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year

Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B
This thread is 11 years old. That guy makes about 3 posts per year.
There is always a new guy out there brave enough to bump a zombie thread to reply to someone who is long gone.

GlassBowtie77
Most Recent Message: 12-16-2010 01:29 AM

Last edited by LT1M21Vette; 05-10-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM
CorvetteCruz
6th Gear

Default shouldve worked on my Vette years ago.....

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
There is always a new guy out there brave enough to bump a zombie thread to reply to someone who is long gone.

GlassBowtie77
Most Recent Message: 12-16-2010 01:29 AM

Always....if its still here its still serving its purpose right?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 PM
CorvetteCruz
6th Gear

Default yea you can say im crazy

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Probably not, but you may have wanted to post in C4 instead for C3.
countless hours of research + sleepless nights thinking of what to do next...definitely impaired SOMETHING lol Thanks for the heads up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year