C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Headlight Troubles

Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 AM
ddonzella
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Headlight Troubles

I searched the archives but didn't see this problem. When I turn my lights on the lights open fine. When I close them the left light goes nearly all the way down and stops and the motor runs on and on until I disconnect the wiring. The headlight at this point is open about 1 inch and is slightly loose?????

Any advise???

Thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 03:16 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem and am wondering how the motor comes out of the car..
Old 01-30-2005, 04:27 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 86 had similiar problems, the headlight would CLOSE but would not open.

I took the offender motor out - just a lot of bolts and screws to get it out - and opened it up. Inside there are three sets of contacts and depending on whether the contacts are open of closed the motor either opens or closed the door (up or down).

I tried all sorts of "fixes" including buying three new relays, no good.

I ended up sending it to CorvetteCentral for prepare since no one locally here in TX could do it.

Chevy goes sell replacement parts for the 86 motor according to my local Chevy dealer. Their only suggestion was to upgrade BOTH headlights to the later (88) version. Mucho $$$$$$$$$$$

CC cost just over $100 and took a couple of weeks to get it back. No problem since.

Jake
Old 01-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

you might try replacing the plastic gears inside the motor (2). these gears like to diisintegrate. my lights did the same thing. also i have left and right headlight buckets with the new motors for sale
Old 01-30-2005, 08:53 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

Originally Posted by JAKE
My 86 had similiar problems, the headlight would CLOSE but would not open.

Chevy goes sell replacement parts for the 86 motor according to my local Chevy dealer. Their only suggestion was to upgrade BOTH headlights to the later (88) version. Mucho $$$$$$$$$$$

Jake
that's the second or third time i've seen a recommendation to upgrade to the 88 setup to solve unreliable earlier c4 part problems. chevy must have figured the c4 out by 88. anybody want to trade an 88 for an 85?

forget it. by the time i'm finished replacing all that crap i'll have half an 88 anyway. an 861/2 maybe.
frog.

Last edited by parafrog; 01-30-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by parafrog
that's the second or third time i've seen a recommendation to upgrade to the 88 setup to solve unreliable earlier c4 part problems. chevy must have figured the c4 out by 88. anybody want to trade an 88 for an 85?

frog.
Actually it depends on what part or area of the two cars you're referring to.

For example, (forgot the guy's name) one of the winningest road race guys says the 86 has the best chassis of them all. His 86 handled the best and he won more more races than with newer year chassises.

After "upgrading" to a newer model, he went back to his 86 after his lap times fell off with the new iron and no matter what he did his "new" car couldn't run with his 86.

So I'm wondering if it's cost-effective to move to an 88, etc., if it only take $100 to fix a malfunctioning headlight. You may well be swapping one problem for a different one.

I wouldn't do it, but it's your call though.

Jake
Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parafrog

forget it. by the time i'm finished replacing all that crap i'll have half an 88 anyway. an 861/2 maybe.
frog.
From the threads I've seen, it seems they have some of the same problems we do with headlights, but for other reasons. Apperantly there are 3 bushings (in the '88s and up) that tend to wear out and turn to dust. Based on what I've read I'm not sure which setup has more problems, but I think it's worth checking into before doing the conversion.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a Corvette shop in Richmond, Va., replace the three bushings in the headlight motor casing of my 1990 Corvette. I saved money by removing the entire headlight assembly and taking it to the shop.

The headlights started out doing what yours are doing, but only got worse. Eventually, I could hear the motors running, but the headlights wouldn't pop up. The bushings are round pieces of plastic about the size of an man's index finger. After a while, the original bushings turn to sand. This was my 1990. I don't know if your 1986 has bushings. My headlights pop up with speed and power now. -- Eric
Old 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Photomania
I had a Corvette shop in Richmond, Va., replace the three bushings in the headlight motor casing of my 1990 Corvette. I saved money by removing the entire headlight assembly and taking it to the shop.

The headlights started out doing what yours are doing, but only got worse. Eventually, I could hear the motors running, but the headlights wouldn't pop up. The bushings are round pieces of plastic about the size of an man's index finger. After a while, the original bushings turn to sand. This was my 1990. I don't know if your 1986 has bushings. My headlights pop up with speed and power now. -- Eric
'84 -'87 don't have the bushings, our problem is normally the plastic gear -- same symptoms, different cause. But highlights what I was trying to say in my previous post
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 85-86-87 Headlight Motor on E-Bay

There is a drivers side headlight motor on E-Bay. Four days to go on auction. Item number: 4524070578.
I am going to do the fix with the delrin bushings on my 89. Eckler's sent me the bushing kit, $4.95 per side, plus illustrated instructions. I also received plenty of help from the Forum members.
Boatman
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 02-01-2005, 05:37 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 86 Motor on E-Bay

[QUOTE=ddonzella]I searched the archives but didn't see this problem. When I turn my lights on the lights open fine. When I close them the left light goes nearly all the way down and stops and the motor runs on and on until I disconnect the wiring. The headlight at this point is open about 1 inch and is slightly loose?????
Any advise???

Check E-Bay, Headlight motor taken off of 86 on auction.
Item number: 4524070578
Old 02-06-2005, 10:37 AM
ddonzella
Advanced

Got the headlight assembly out of the car. Question, How do I seperate the motor from the headlight housing shaft???
Old 02-06-2005, 11:14 AM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ddonzella
Got the headlight assembly out of the car. Question, How do I seperate the motor from the headlight housing shaft???
It's been a few months and short term memory isn't what it used to be But I do remember I had to take the part that sits flush with hood when the lights are closed off to get at a couple of nuts, bolts or screws (that's what I can't remember)
Old 02-06-2005, 11:48 AM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read so many problems w/ C4 and C5 motor, gear, bushing problems. I applaud GM for making the C6 headlight a "fixed" system!!

after all these years, they still couldn't design a reliable pop up headlight, so they gave up...Smart move on GM's part....*******

Old 02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
ddonzella
Advanced

Got it appart and found the small grey gear shot. Should be no problem fixing.. Thanks to all.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Headlight Troubles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 Headlight Troubles