C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked Out %#$@%#$#@ Help

Old 01-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Out %#$@%#$#@ Help

My 1977 never came with door keys and somehow my keyless entry is not working, I changed battery on both remotes, etc. So it is either a locksmith or you guys!!

It has power windows and locks.

The question is:

How do I use a slim jim (lock out tool) for this car? I can get into any 1970's firebird or camaro in seconds, but somehow my Vette is not as easy. Can it be slim jim'ed with the power locks? Which end do I use? The hook or push down? Any advice would be great. I am not worried about my old rubber/weatherstripping etc.

THANKS!

It is a Bulldog 7002 alarm system, but they are closed til Monday.

If Y'all can help me get it unlocked I will sacrifice a Ford to the great Chevy God.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Can you stick something around the side window and undo the t-top latch maybe?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:07 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

ive tried the trusty hanger trick with no luck because of position of the lock push in thingy.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:09 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclecarmaniac
It has power windows and locks.

The question is:

How do I use a slim jim (lock out tool) for this car?
You don't...u use a slim jim....guaranteed you will ruin the door mechanism or the window track, or both....non power no problem, power...you call the alarm company.

Last edited by GDaina; 01-15-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Originally Posted by GDaina
You don't...u use a slim jim....guaranteed you will ruin the door mechanism or the window track, or both....non power no problem, power...you call the alarm company.

But what can they do?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:29 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclecarmaniac
But what can they do?
get the code off the clicker...reprogram a new one
Old 01-16-2005, 12:41 AM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redc3
ive tried the trusty hanger trick with no luck because of position of the lock push in thingy.
it is do-able, you just have to be Very persistant and not worry about messing your weather stripping up. make a loop outa the brass coat hanger and kink it so it will fit up under the t-top, once you get that off the your over the hard part. not if your door locks are ANything "remotely" LOL...joke, get it? ok moving on- anything close to mine then whenever someone screws with your handles when the car is locked the doors wont open at all....NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, which is in itself a nice security feature, until someone touches it cuase then u cant get in lol. well there is a litte tiny knobby lookin deal inside the guts of the door where the actual door handle mechanism is, you push the thing down *use a flashlight or you wont see it* and pop your door open. make sure you roll your window down before you do this or else your glass will be scratched up bad.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Thanks for the sugs....Im tryin' the ttop route tomorrow. Update coming....
Old 01-16-2005, 01:46 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Bang your fist hard on the t top above the latch, the latch will come down and take the t top off
Old 01-16-2005, 02:27 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your t tops are not locked.....argh!
Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

If they are locked a brick and a new window will be the same $$ as a locksmith
Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yeah, but do you want your car to go without a window until you can find a suitable replacement?

Call a locksmith and have them make you new keys.

-Steve
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Pacin'California
Yeah, but do you want your car to go without a window until you can find a suitable replacement?

Call a locksmith and have them make you new keys.

-Steve
Plus you don't have all the broken glass to clean up. I had a door key break off in my driver's side door last weekend. The locksmith wanted $70 to get it out. I went to a drug store and bought the smallest pair of tweezers they had for $7 and got the broken half of the key out. Man was I relieved. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know if power locks make a difference, but I was able to unlock my daughter's 72 LT-1 using a locksmith's tool. He was trying to jimmy it from the window which won't work. He watched me do it, asked me questions but still charged me.

As I remember, you push the tool down through the latch assembly and press down on a lever that unlocks the door. Usually there is a piece of hard plastic that GM intended to keep this from working, but luckily it was missing on the passenger door.
If you can find a diagram of the inner door lock/latch assembly you will see what I mean.
Ol Blue
Old 01-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
I don't know if power locks make a difference, but I was able to unlock my daughter's 72 LT-1 using a locksmith's tool. He was trying to jimmy it from the window which won't work. He watched me do it, asked me questions but still charged me.

As I remember, you push the tool down through the latch assembly and press down on a lever that unlocks the door. Usually there is a piece of hard plastic that GM intended to keep this from working, but luckily it was missing on the passenger door.
If you can find a diagram of the inner door lock/latch assembly you will see what I mean.
Ol Blue
Were her windows powered? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Musclecarmaniac
Instructor

1st locksmith didn't want the job. Said too much work for him. But he sauid he would get me in my car for $40, said I (yea right) could pull the door panel, and then have a guy make a key from the lock for another fee. 2nd locksmith said he would come out and get me in and make me a new set of keys for $75 total. He is coming over tomorrow. Much cheaper than I expected. 1st locksmith was an idiot.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

No, the windows were not power.

If the locksmith starts running a tool down by the window, he doesn't know what he is doing. The lock levers are between the upholstery and the inner door shell, not inside the door next to the window.

I borrowed a kit from a body shop and read their instructions on how to unlock the door. My daughter already had the locksmith there so we still had to pay him.

It's been too long ago and her car isn't here for me to look at, but I'm pretty sure I had to push a tool down thru the hole under the latch that you push down with your fingers to open the door. It takes a narrow tool to fit down there.
Ol Blue
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 AM
vettemad
Advanced

Default remote locks

interuppting the 12 volt source should trigger the locks... reach under the car before the left rear wheel and unbolt the ground strap from the frame... then reconnect it , or just touch it back to frame to make contact, you should hear the doorlocks trigger , if not, the problem is a broken component or bad connection .... cliff

Get notified of new replies

To Locked Out %#$@%#$#@ Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locked Out %#$@%#$#@ Help