Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Turn signal lever, how hard to replace? (1992)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Turn signal lever, how hard to replace? (1992)

I think there is a small short in my wiper controls. If I set the lever to it's longest time delay setting, sometimes it will work, other times it will just start running as if I've got the wipers on low. I can click it up to the second setting and it works just fine. Of course local weather patterns would require the first setting more often than not.

I actually saw the exact lever in the "HELP" parts section of the local auto parts store. It was cheap enough, it just happened to be white instead of orange. Naturally the orange would be better but if it's too expensive I might consider the white one.

Before I do anything though I need to know how hard it is to replace such a thing. I don't have the slightest clue how this comes apart. Do I have to take the whole column apart?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:51 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

no, that isn't the part that don't work.

sadly, it's the expensive "multifunction switch" inside the column.

I did a tech tip on this last year.

The twisting function only turns the switch inside the column.

Whilst in there, it's best to replace the turn signal and do the repair to the tilt.

I have the reciept in a folder in the garage. It has all the part numbers on it. I will get it tomorrow evening...

Here is the link - https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=264&TopicID=2

the downside is that the damned software screws up the formatting. sorry.

Last edited by bogus; 12-11-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by bogus
Here is the link - https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=264&TopicID=2

the downside is that the damned software screws up the formatting. sorry.
You ain't kidding, HOLY CRAP!

I'm going to see if Bigtoe can fix that.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:51 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
You ain't kidding, HOLY CRAP!

I'm going to see if Bigtoe can fix that.
yea, royally pissed me off when it was posted. can't read it... you know me better than that - I use the enter key!!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:09 PM
stingraymarc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default turn signal..

hey andy,
I think you and other fellow CF'ers posted in response to this question before, but I must ask again, is this the only way to fix a broken turn signal indicator, which is the problem I have with my 93...it won't stay in the "UP" or right turn position..down/left turn works fine...thanks
Old 12-11-2004, 01:27 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this link myself, it has pictures.

stingraymarc, yours sounds like a turn signal switch issue to me. Two things to check are the little curly Q springs in the turn signal switch. They break sometimes. They can be replaced without replacing the entire switch if you can find them. Usually when they fail, the problem is the turn signal won't cancel though. The other thing is the round white plasitic piece that's just under the lock plate. The part that slids over the shaft is a cam shaped piece of plastic that hits those little springs when you turn the wheel, that's what cancels the turn signal. I think if you pull the wheel and look you'll be able to see if there is a problem with one of those things, or if the switch is actually broken

http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html

Last edited by newbecorvetteguy; 12-11-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymarc
hey andy,
I think you and other fellow CF'ers posted in response to this question before, but I must ask again, is this the only way to fix a broken turn signal indicator, which is the problem I have with my 93...it won't stay in the "UP" or right turn position..down/left turn works fine...thanks

You will need to pull the steering wheel and the lock plate to get at that....sorry. Its not that bad though.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:42 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had this same wiper problem with my 92 last week. My mechanic buddy said alot of times it's the circuit board inside the wiper motor. So 3 screws later I have the board out. We look it over for bad solder joints, it all looked fine. The 2 plugs that go into it were all gumed up from being 12 years old. So I cleaned all the contacts, plugs ect. and reassembled. Make sure the blue cam on the board is put back in the correct position.
I might just be the lucky one, but it works perfect now. I would try this before you spend any money. It took a total of 15 minutes.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:51 AM
bogus
Team Owner

the tools are nice to have... they are only $30.00 total at pepboys.

It's not bad... one thing, it's easier to remove the column from the car than to try doing all this inside the car...

take the airbag and wheel off first, then the lock plate, then remove it and set it in a table vice.

it is not bad, either. Expect 2 hours start to finish...

Oh, 1992 is a transitional year for columns. When you order the tilt kit, they will ask if you have a new or old style column. The best bet, take a close look up under the dash (you will have to take the knee pad off) and check the serial number. Its stampped on top of the column.

It's easiest if you drop the column off the dash and let it sag down some... write down the serial number, then the parts guy will know if the column is old or new.

Last edited by bogus; 12-12-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:05 AM
stingraymarc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a look at parts in the ecklers online catologue and did a search for turn signal parts, and came up with a turn signal cam for $7.99, a turn signal switch which was 39 dollars, and the actual turn signal switch for 79 dollars. In what likelihood is it that it is just the cam itself that broke and not the switch?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:47 AM
bogus
Team Owner

not for this problem. he is describing a problem with the wipers.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingraymarc
I took a look at parts in the ecklers online catologue and did a search for turn signal parts, and came up with a turn signal cam for $7.99, a turn signal switch which was 39 dollars, and the actual turn signal switch for 79 dollars. In what likelihood is it that it is just the cam itself that broke and not the switch?
I saw the little springs at either NAPA, Carqwest, or Autozone not too long ago. Probably in the HELP section. Hard to give odds on the likely problem. You about have to pull the steering wheel and lock plate and take a look. Not a big deal. You should be able to tell what's going on then.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just reading through this thread, looking for some info. I just pulled the airbag, steering wheel, etc, to get down to the blinker switch. I had a new one to install, but that part was fine. I can not find the part that I need. It is the part on/connected to the multi-function switch control arm, that actually pushes on the metal piece that moves the blinker switch. Does anyone have a diagram of this, or do they know where I can get this part? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

If you meant DIRECTIONAL SIGNAL as blinker then the WIPER SWITCH/PIVOT connects to the directional switch by a metal arm. If that's the case and the metal arm is intact you will need the wiper switch/pivot assembly. You didn't mention the "YEAR" of your car but the thread is for '90+ so the parts are similar but not the same for every year. What year is your car?

Some reads:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=43334764

Someone on here tried a repair using epoxy to attach a piece he fabricated but the real fix is to replace the part.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-18-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 AM
strotter13
Instructor

Sorry about that. It is a 1992 corvette. It is not the metal arm that screws on to the turn signal switch but it is the other plastic piece that your referring to.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by strotter13
Sorry about that. It is a 1992 corvette. It is not the metal arm that screws on to the turn signal switch but it is the other plastic piece that your referring to.
You need a wiper switch/pivot. GM part # 26015119. There are some reproduction parts out there that sell for $65 - $80. eBay is a good source as well as some other vendors. I've never used one of the replica switches but I believe I would if I needed. It looks like the link I posted for search results doesn't work now. I guess the forum has an expiration time on searches.

Use the C4 FORUM and search for the 26015119 and there will be some threads. It's similar in many Saginaw columns and a tutorial should be easy enough to find. It seems you have enough tools and actually are nearly deep enough into the column to accomplish the FIX.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:29 PM
strotter13
Instructor

You are right on the money. I just ebay searched and that's the part. I already put the wheel back together and I figured out I could manually flick the switch with my finger, so for 80 bucks I'll do that until it gets to annoying or I find a cheaper switch on eBay. Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal lever, how hard to replace? (1992)

Quick Reply: Turn signal lever, how hard to replace? (1992)