Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Broken valve spring??? Question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 AM
R-ZO6-LS6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken valve spring??? Question???

I broke a spring reving at a Mustang just sitting still. I know it wasn't a bright thing to do. But my question is?-- "The dealer says it was only one , and they feel that it might have been just a weak spring" . HOWEVER-- I feel that if I reved it good enough to break one ,I reved it good enough to weaken them all. Can you give me your thoughts? Are they trying to me. And where can I get some good double springs at?????
thanks for all your help
Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You broke a valve spring and nothing else happened? My '02 had a weak spring and went south with 20000 miles on it. Before I could do much the engine was pretty damaged. Chev replaced it with a new one. At about the same time two or three others here had a similar problem. Replacing with aftermarket springs might be a wise decision.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Richard,

I replaced my OEM springs with Crane doube wire springs and titanium retainers. I also added their aluminum roller rocker arms at the same time. Vinci HiPerformance - www.vincehiperformance.com - and Crane are having a sale on them at this time. No Problems.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

An alternate view.

Failure of a single part in a set (of same parts) does happen, even under tight quality assurance programs.

My 01 Z06 broke just one rocker arm. Chevy replaced that one under warranty, after a physical inspection and checking the push rods on both sides for trueness and concluding "a single bad part," e.g. one bad rocker arm.

After that event, the car made 125 drag passes with hundreds of redline shifts under power...without issues. And it ran a best of 11.94 on drag radials with a CAI. So it did produce good and reliable power.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Broken valve spring??? Question???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broken valve spring??? Question???