Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Washn' your Vet

Old 09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Billco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washn' your Vet

How do you all keep your American Legends looking good. Soap and water, then wax? DryWashGuard? McGuire porducts, Other? What do you think of the product you use? I have used the DryWash product and wonder if anything can possibly be better. This suff is amazing, but I wonder if anyone thinks what they use is better. Jump in here.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:58 AM
02 batmobile
Instructor

I wash my baby with a bucket of car soap. I'm very careful to rinse the wash mit constantly of any dirt (don't want swirls if I can prevent it). Once dried, I wax with "Black" turtle wax. From then on, about the next 10 washes, I don't wax but apply "Eagle One" Wipe & Shine instead of wax. It truely enhances the shine and luster.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Z-ZANY
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

when I got my Z home wash with soap and water, 2 coats of gliptone premium wax, California duster in between washes, and believe it or not Fuller Brush brand quick shine spray polish. Bought it on a whim when I was in the Fuller Brush store in Kittery Maine a few years ago and it worked great on my black Harley. so I have been using it on everything, and less than 3 bucks a can.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Biscuit Burner
Intermediate

Default Mr. Clean

I am not one to use products like this nor have I been interested. But my friend who has a exotic ride told me it worked excellent. I used it and it is really neat. You must use it in the right conditions, like cooler temperature and out of the sun, but it sheets off the water like it says. Pretty cool. As for wax, I use a Carnuba based, then a sythetic with a UV polymer to protect the finish.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Wash with bucket of soap (Zaino Z7 in my case) and I recently started using DetailingDude's "drying with water" technique.

Basically, once you rinse all the suds off, you remove the nozzle from the hose and hold it perpendicular to the paint surface about 3 inches away... you get a nice, gentle gush of water that sheets off, taking all the little water droplets with it.

That gets about 80% of the water off the car, and then I finish the drying job with an Absorber.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:58 AM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thud
Wash with bucket of soap (Zaino Z7 in my case) and I recently started using DetailingDude's "drying with water" technique.

Basically, once you rinse all the suds off, you remove the nozzle from the hose and hold it perpendicular to the paint surface about 3 inches away... you get a nice, gentle gush of water that sheets off, taking all the little water droplets with it.

That gets about 80% of the water off the car, and then I finish the drying job with an Absorber.
That'll work, but here in Vegas it's illegal. Got to have a positive shut-off on the hose at all times.

I use Meguiars Gold car wash and Quick Detailer between washes (along with a California Duster). I polish with NXT and use the NXT refresher on occasion.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
IwantmyC5
Pro

St. Jude Contributor

Every 1-2 weeks, I use Mr. Clean's Auto Dry. I was skeptical at first, but it really does a great job. Still have to hand wash after applying the soap spray, but that's expected. After using the spot-free rinse mode, let it dry. (Only takes about 30 minutes on an average day here). NO Spots whatsoever. Then I apply a thin coat of NXT wax,(no more than every 1-2 months), and buff to a nice beautiful shine. No tire dressing for me. I prefer the clean look of natural rubber on the rims.
Than, it's time to go show her off.

In between major washes, I use the drive through wash at the Tigermart station after I fill up the tank. Yes, it is touchless. Only spray jets, that way nothing touches my baby. For 8 bucks w/a fill up, it works great when I don't have time to spend 3-4 hours outside.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Andy64
Racer

For my Black 04 Z .... Washing ... I use Blue Coral or McGuires Car wash with soft mitt, taking care to rinse frequently. In between waxings I use microfiber towels to get excess water off, then spray some Bead-X (Purple liquid stuff) and buff. Comes out excellent. The Bead-X can be sprayed on dry or while wet and can be applied to windows as well. It keeps water beading in between waxes and works great if applied right after it rains.

For waxing, I use either Xymol or McGuires NXT, and try not to wax that often. I am told that McGuire's #20 Sealant is supposed to be excellent and last about 3 months, but having trouble finding in stores, so will likely order directly from McGuires web site.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
DWS'03Z
Racer

I'm a Zaino type of guy.....great shine and long lasting
Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
GOOSE JR.
Pro

Iwash withamit and the Kit carnuba car wash then it's time for a realcowhide chamois. The NXT from Meguiars is my favorite shine, this stuff is superb, it fills all the small swirls and seems to hold the shine.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

mitt and NXT car wash (sponge and NXT car wash for wheels), dry with 2 chamois', wax with NXT.

done.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Piranha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default From a black vet owner...

Since I have a black car I will and have tried about anything and everything looking for that perfect deep wet look with the least effort and for a reasonable price. Here is my experienced $0.02...

I have washed with the following:
1) Autozone jug-o-soap (clearcoat safe)
2) Automatic car wash (touchless)
3) Armorall
4) Ibiz
5) Zaino
6) Dawn (only when about to claybar)
7) Mr. Clean

I have used the following intermediate wax as you dry/detail sprays:
1) Eagle 1
2) NXT
3) Zaino
4) Meguiar's
5) Ibiz

And I have used the following waxes:
1) Zaino
2) NXT
3) Mequiar's Profesional 3-step
4) Ibiz
5) Turtle wax for Black cars

Here is the best combo I have found:

Zaino soap, Zaino wax, Zaino detail gloss enhancer (I forget all the numbers but the wax is the one for swirlies).

For in between waxes I think that the NXT, Eagle 1 and Ibiz are about the same, but I think the Eagle 1 is the easiest to use of the 3.

I know there are a lot of Zaino haters out there because you can't get it at a store and it costs more. I agree and I don't like those aspects either, but I have used these products side by side and there is a difference. I waxed my deck lid with 4 waxes once and you could see a difference in all 4. I must say that the Meguiars 3 step is argueably as good looking as the Zaino but it is just a lot more work. That is a large factor for most of these comparisons. The Zaino products give the best results with the minimal amount of effort and lasts longer. It's not cheap and not readily available but worth both of those flaws. I have no vested interest in Zaino, I am just trying to help my fellow Vet owners to have the best looking car possible. I admit that those of you who don't have a black vet don't see the differences as much as we do but it doesn't mean the differences don't exist, you just can't see them as readily as you can on a black car.
Oh well, just thought I would help.

Last edited by Piranha; 09-08-2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:39 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Clay bar 1st..then wash and rinse..then NXT or Meguiars wax..
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Meguiars or Zaino soap.

Wash , rinsing mit often.

Water dry, followed by my shop vac. It has a remvable top that can be used as a blower. I then blow dry the car.
Advatage is two fold, nothing touches the car, and its fast and though.

I have been using Zaino, but am on my last bottle. Great product, but I have a hard time with it drying. Below 60 and it does not want to dry. High humidity and same thing. Here in Atalnta, I have to put the car in the garage with a dehumidfier and base door open to get it to 70 to 75 degrees and low humidity. Thats just to much. I plan on leaving the zaino on and switching over to a wax probuct (PInicle). I don't drive it daily so the wax will hold up fine.

On my other vehicles I use Liquid Glass and love it. I may just go back to it with the Vette as well. Very easy to use and you can do the windows too. Plus lasts longer than anything else I (repeat I) have used. I like it better than Zaino but once you spend 80 bucks you want to use it up.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:02 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Meguiars or Zaino soap.

Wash , rinsing mit often.

Water dry, followed by my shop vac. It has a remvable top that can be used as a blower. I then blow dry the car.
Advatage is two fold, nothing touches the car, and its fast and though.

I have been using Zaino, but am on my last bottle. Great product, but I have a hard time with it drying. Below 60 and it does not want to dry. High humidity and same thing. Here in Atalnta, I have to put the car in the garage with a dehumidfier and base door open to get it to 70 to 75 degrees and low humidity. Thats just to much. I plan on leaving the zaino on and switching over to a wax probuct (PInicle). I don't drive it daily so the wax will hold up fine.

On my other vehicles I use Liquid Glass and love it. I may just go back to it with the Vette as well. Very easy to use and you can do the windows too. Plus lasts longer than anything else I (repeat I) have used. I like it better than Zaino but once you spend 80 bucks you want to use it up.
You need to try ZFX. It dries for me in less than 30 minutes or by the time I am done applying it even with it being cold and raining (100% humdidity). And make sure you apply it super thin.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 PM
The Rocket
5th Gear

Listen to me... Go to Pinnaclewax.com Buy the "Souveran" esspecially if you have a black or dark colored car. I know the stuff is exspensive, but I had a 02 black rag top before I got my 03 yellow Z and these products really need to be seen to appreciate. I promise, you won't be sorry if you use these products. You can get an unbelievable amount of waxes out of an 8 oz jar. It goes on very easy & comes off even easier. Bugs & grim just don't stick.

No, I do not work for the wax company. I am however in the autobody industry & have used all the products out there.

Regarding washing. Use a 5 gallon bucket so the dirt from the mit goes to the bottom. Rinse mit often. Don't wash in a circular motion, this can cause swirls on dark colors. Take the sprayer off the hose end and let the water run over the car. This will assure a completely dirt/soap free car before drying. Also makes drying easier. Use a different mit for the lower part and wheels. Try to blow off the car instead of using a towel. NEVER use a shammy. I know your thinking why? They trap dirt & grit in them. If you can't blow it use the softest towels you have.

Hope this info helps!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
GCadby
Instructor

On the z16, do you put wax on the stripes( decals)? Are any 100% cotten towels, rags ok? Autozone had several, some seemed a little coarse. Sorry, may be dumb questions but I have never washed a vehicle this nice before.

Get notified of new replies

To Washn' your Vet

Old 09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Andy64
Racer

yep, You can wax the decals, just make sure the wax being used is safe for plastic/vinyl and only go with the decal, not across it which might cause it to lift. I dont use the Terry Towels for waxing as they feel a bit rough as you say. I like the Micro-Fiber towels and you can get a bunch relatively cheap at costco's.

Congrats on the Z16
Old 11-13-2004, 01:16 AM
hoogbest
Racer

Default Car Washing

Whenever I want my 03 MilYel washed I go to the dealer from which I bought my car, slip the detail guy five bucks and he washes it as if it were going on the floor....another five and he details the interior. Every six minths for $50.00 he details the exterior. No Brain No Pain!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:52 AM
BriansZo6
Instructor

I have a detailing business and drive it almost every day. I wash it probably 3-4 times a week. Polish it atleast once ever two weeks some times more. Quick detailing is shi^^y and does not look half as good as mothers polish. I clay my car once every month or two so there is no oxidation. Ever where i go people think my car is brand new because the shape. Its an 02 with 19k miles, just hit it tonight druizing with the buddies. Love the car and still contemplating to keep it or not. Miss my S4 with 300 awhp. YOu name it i had it other than ko4's. But just wash, polish, and clay alot. Car is black so got to keep it looking good. If i do not wash it atleast once i week i have nightmares about it. I am a neet dreak when it comes to my car. My car got rained on last night so i went home quick and washed it at 3:30 in the morning. Rain can do horrible things to your paint. But if anyone needs their car done i live in allentown, Pa. Rating as doing the best job around. 20 years old but have tons of experience. Just a little business but doing a car almsot every day in the summer and do them on the weekends. I go to school so only do a few on the week. But anyone interested do mstly high class. Porshce, austin martin, BMW, mercedes, etc. Ask anyone of my buddies and they will vouch i am the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Washn' your Vet