C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is most durable spray paint for suspension parts?

Old 08-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default what is most durable spray paint for suspension parts?

Typically I use restoleum for most of my exterior parts due to rust on everything. I've seen lots of post on the forum lately where people have detailed their suspension parts with various colors. I would like to know what is the best type of paint for exterior metal parts? Would something like an expoxy caliper paint be more durable than an enamel?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

you can thin it and spray on. All regular spray paints will only last a few months depending on use of vechicle.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:27 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

if you can somehow get in touch with a paint rep, ask for a case of Euroblack. Its a satin black paint that doesn't need primer, it adheres right to bare metal or fiberglass, and it chemcially bonds itself to whatever material. I found this stuff to be the most durable of any paints out there. I painted my control arms, and DROPPED a control arm on the concrete, and it didn't even chip or scuff. The stuff is awesome, but expensive. You can get a case of 12 spray cans, about a $6+ for can.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:23 PM
noskillz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, I found Rustoleum to be pretty darn tough. I used the rusty metoal primer and a few coats fo base - pretty tough stuff. And if you do get a scratch then the primer will preven the scratch from rusting out. Best of all you can buy it in many different colors at you local hoem and garden store so if you do need a touch up it is easy.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:26 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using Eastwood's "Chassis Black" on my control arms and frame. I didn't want to fool with POR-15, and the Eastwood stuff is an epoxy product. I'm not building a show car anyway, so if it chips, so be it.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I have used POR15 a lot and had mixed results with it. It has come off in some places. I'm not as impressed with it as I was a few years ago. All procedures were followed btw. I top coated with Eastwood paints and had good luck with them. I'm going to give the Eastwoods encapsulator a try over the POR15 next time. It appears to have the same adhesion properties without the top coat issue or health concerns of POR15. There is a comparision on the Eastwoods tech page if interested. Eastwood will be at Carlisle along with POR15 rep's so it will be a good time to compare.

Last edited by gtr1999; 08-21-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:42 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redshark6974
if you can somehow get in touch with a paint rep, ask for a case of Euroblack. Its a satin black paint that doesn't need primer, it adheres right to bare metal or fiberglass, and it chemcially bonds itself to whatever material. I found this stuff to be the most durable of any paints out there. I painted my control arms, and DROPPED a control arm on the concrete, and it didn't even chip or scuff. The stuff is awesome, but expensive. You can get a case of 12 spray cans, about a $6+ for can.
tried a search got zip, is there a link

Get notified of new replies

To what is most durable spray paint for suspension parts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is most durable spray paint for suspension parts?