C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged?

Old 07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged?

Hi guys,

I might be considering (or just day dreaming) of having a super charger for my L98. I'm sure I could afford it if I do the work myself with the help of my step dad. (He owns a body, and has been around cars for over 35 years) I could undertake the project during winter and worry about the tuning when summer comes along and bring it in at a local dyno shop for proper tuning or even try to figure things out on my own.

Currently my setup is a 383 stroker with decked or shaved heads, so I'm guessing I have any were from 10 to 11 CR, stock TPI intake. I have simple bolts on mods, MAF screen removed, air pump elimination bracket, flow master exhaust, front frisby removed.

Would it still be possible or reasonable to run a Super charger on my car since I have such a high CR. I'm also wondering if there is a company out there that sells a complete kit witch doesn't require much modification? I've heard about ATI, but I also heard they still require lots of modification. Is there a better company out there or a company that requires less modification during the install? If I do all the bolt on work myself, about how much would I expect to spend.

Ps: If someone did this type of install and took pictures and wrote the steps, I would really like to see them. Thanks !

[Modified by TheStef, 1:48 PM 7/6/2004]
Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged? (TheStef)

I'm sure I could afford it if I do the work myself with the help of my step dad.
You could absolutely do it yourself. it's not hard at all, just time consuming.

I could undertake the project during winter and worry about the tuning when summer comes along and bring it in at a local dyno shop for proper tuning or even try to figure things out on my own.
Always a good idea to get it dyno tuned.

Currently my setup is a 383 stroker with decked or shaved heads, so I'm guessing I have any were from 10 to 11 CR,
This is where your problem is. The difference between 10:1 and 11:1 when SCing is a major difference. At close to 11:1 you can't do anymore than 6psi intercooled and I don't think it would be worth it. At 10:1 it would be at 8-10 psi properly tuned and managed.

Would it still be possible or reasonable to run a Super charger on my car since I have such a high CR.
If your CR is high, you should look into Nitrous. Nitrous LOVES high compression ratios.

I'm also wondering if there is a company out there that sells a complete kit witch doesn't require much modification? I've heard about ATI, but I also heard they still require lots of modification.
When you say modification that could be anything. I believe any kit you buy is going to need a little "massaging" to get things to fit, but no heavy modding/fabrication is really necessary and shouldn't deter you.

If I do all the bolt on work myself, about how much would I expect to spend.
Just whatever the kit costs + some colder spark plugs. HOWEVER, if you ever want to upgrade to a better fuel pump (which you should) is another $175. If you want a good ignition setup (which you should) is another ~$325.

I used to have a thread on my complete install, but it's for a '92 LT1 so I don't think it would be as much help to you. But there's plenty on this forum who have gone through this. You'll have no trouble getting help.

Just keep in mind that the kits have some problems with belt slip, but on an L98 it's not as much of a problem I believe with the Vortech kits. http://www.blowerworks.com also has their own kit which already has an MSD ignition and better fuel pump so check them out. Their kit is more expensive than Vortech or ATI's kit, but it's COMPLETE unlike the Vortech and ATI kits.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged? (vvv90)

Just keep in mind that the kits have some problems with belt slip, but on an L98 it's not as much of a problem I believe with the Vortech kits. http://www.blowerworks.com also has their own kit which already has an MSD ignition and better fuel pump so check them out. Their kit is more expensive than Vortech or ATI's kit, but it's COMPLETE unlike the Vortech and ATI kits.

Thanks for all the great info, but this part got me confused, you says that Vortech is a more complete kit then Vortech and ATI's ??
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

and the link is all in chenese??
Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Woops. The place is called Blower works. Here's the link:
http://www.carrollsupercharging.com/
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
vvv90
Race Director

O.k. to clarify...

1.) You can buy a Vortech kit

2.) You can buy an ATI kit

3.) Or you can buy a blowerworks kit that uses a Vortech head unit with different components. Components that are better and more complete.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged? (vvv90)

Thanks for the info, I'll go browses their web site
Old 07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

A part from new heads or porting the ones I currently have, what else could I do to bring down the CR if I decide to go with a SC?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Scott94C4
Racer

The only other way I know of (besides bigger combustion chamber heads) is dished pistons.

Do you have forged pistons in your 383?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged? (Scott94C4)

The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago to a 383, I'm pretty sure they are cast iron, same as stock.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:39 AM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

You really need to know the part number for the pistons you have, then look for the head casting number to verify that compression ratio. Deck height is also important, as well as the compressed thickness of your head gasket. My ATI kit went in reasonably well, and it wasnt even for my year Vette. I spent my spare time and had it done in a week or so. Twin intercoolers and all. The ATI instructions suck, but the kit seems good.

As for tuning, what you should really get is a wide band O2. Its important for a good tune, and even more important when supercharged. Running lean on a SC engine is catastrophic. Theres a group buy going on now, check the scan and tune section for links.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged? (SBNova)

Thanks for all the great info,

but here's my problem,

I know this is not really a good situation to be in if I plan on doing future mods, but when I had the engine rebuilt, it was rebuilt (cash under the table) by one of my step dad's friends. He works for a very good and reputable shop and has been doing this for over 30 years, its one of the best shops in my area.

Anyway's since it was cash I didn't get a receipt or a built sheet, all I know is that its a 383 and the heads were shaved or decked. It was rebuilt to a 383 because the crank had to be changed and it wasn't much extra then having it rebuilt to a 355 (since it had to be rebored) I think one of the pistons skirts was broken. I'm guessing he put new pistons in the engine with a new crank and new rods (maybe used ones, who knows) but I got a very good deal since it was cash. I'm also guessing none of the parts are forged since they are more expensive then cast iron.
I have the stock heads (aluminum), but they have been decked or shaved down, probably because they were warped a bit, (this is what I read in books) I don't see why he would have shaved them down for nothing.
He specifically said to make certain I put in premium gas because of the shaved heads.

So that's my situation.

So? what would be the best way to find out what pistons and CR I have? and what type of head gasket I have?

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it worth it? L98 Supercharged?