C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood separated, what glue to use?

Old 07-01-2004, 11:07 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Hood separated, what glue to use?

When I stripped and painted it 30 years ago, I attempted to rejoin the hood to the underside structure with 5 min epoxy. That didn't hold and now that it's apart again, I'm wondering what to use. There are some dynamite adhesives in the marine world that would work, what did GM use in the first place and has anyone had to re-bond theirs?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (65air_coupe)

dynaglass that you can get from any automotive paint supply jobber
Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (Kid_Again)

It is only bonded around the outside edge. Do not bond it on the interior edges or the cross braces.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

i have a 66 and the hood was unbonded when i bought the car. when that project came up i used 3m 5200 its a marine adheasive that looks like the original bonding agent and holds great its been on the car for @ 2 years now no problem.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:14 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (wombvette)

I puzzled, it appears as tho it was originally bonded there and I can't imagine having those surfaces in contact without either bonding or insulating them. Otherwise, there's going to be vibration and wear. The hood obviously flexes in the center with the surface joined as well, wouldn't think that's desireable.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Grizzly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I asked that question some time ago, I also got differing opinions. What I do know is there already is something there and it is not glue but more of a putty that has hardened.

The one important thing I didn't think about that was brought up is that some epoxies generate a good deal of heat when they cure and that might be bad for the paint.

I'll keep watching for a definitive answer...............
Old 07-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (Grizzly)

"I'll keep watching for a definitive answer..............."

you may be watching for a long time...all i can say is that for my cars and the midyears that i've worked on, the big block hoods have no central brace, the small blocks do, the small block braces have molded-in pads and everyone of those pads had dried adhesive between the pad and the hood - i cleaned out all of that crap and used dynaglass with great success
Old 07-02-2004, 12:51 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

That's really all the answer I was looking for, thanks kid.

Update: did a little research and found dynaglass, duraglass, tigerhair, are all structural fillers, not really adhesives per se. This is a spot that can't be cleaned spotless so I think I'm going to use a true adhesive like the 3M 5200. I used it alot for maine applications and it's as permanent a bond as you can get in plastics.

[Modified by 65air_coupe, 8:17 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 03:34 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

on where to bond. i also bonded the center section of my hood as it was originally bonded to the hood skin in the center i cleaned out the old and put 3m 5200 with no problems this is a one part adheasive that comes in a squeeze tube it does not generate heat and becomes hard but not brittle the car had new paint on it when i did this with no oll effects. no mix no fuss hardens like hockey pucks i would pay attention to the curve of the hood when you do this job as how it is clamped when drying can effect the curve i blocked the hood on its sides and put a weight in the center to press the brace and the skin together worked like a charm good luck jeff
Old 07-02-2004, 05:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (quahog)

The inner panel cross-bracing wasn't "bonded" to the inside of the outer panel; the material you see there is a panel deadener, commonly referred to in body/paint supply shops as "gumdrops". The only actual fiberglass resin bonding material between the inner and outer hood panel is around the outer periphery of the panel.

Using aggressive resin bonding material on the cross-braces can result in "bond burn" distortion on the flat surfaces of the hood outer panel - that's why those areas weren't "bonded" to begin with.

[Modified by JohnZ, 5:20 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 05:49 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (JohnZ)

Thanks John for the confirmation. As usual they take no heed from knowledge and experience and follow the false prophet.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:03 PM
BayRay
Advanced

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (quahog)

JohnZ,

Where do you get the gum drop stuff??

BayRay

Happy 4th of July to all!!

Old 07-02-2004, 06:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (BayRay)

At any automotive body & paint supply store - just tell them you want "hood gumdrop" adhesive.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:22 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

"Thanks John for the confirmation. As usual they take no heed from knowledge and experience and follow the false prophet."

Phrase it how you like, I specifically asked as to how it was done by GM. I also said it should be either bonded or insulated, the relative motion and vibration between the surfaces was/is unacceptable. Just telling me don't glue it doesn't resolve the problem.

I have no way of differentiating 'false prophets' from misinformed, do you? I suspect most of us just try to find the commonality in the sea of opinions.

[Modified by 65air_coupe, 11:22 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 06:50 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

I'm told by the body shop that's working on my 67's hood that by this time nearly all midyear hoods need to have the inner hood brace re-gum dropped. Maybe so. They ground away the old gum drops, propped the hood and inner brace apart with paint stirring sticks, squirted in gum drops where the factory had originally, then removed the sticks. They repainted the inner hood. May as well do it right while the hood's off.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:11 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (LouieM)

I think I'll follow your example and let the painters take care of before painting.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

For what its worth, I used Liquid nails, the one that is formulated for fiberglass, says it right on the tube, and its worked great for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood separated, what glue to use?

Old 07-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Thanks John for the confirmation. As usual they take no heed from knowledge and experience and follow the false prophet."

Phrase it how you like, I specifically asked as to how it was done by GM. I also said it should be either bonded or insulated, the relative motion and vibration between the surfaces was/is unacceptable. Just telling me don't glue it doesn't resolve the problem.

I have no way of differentiating 'false prophets' from misinformed, do you? I suspect most of us just try to find the commonality in the sea of opinions.

[Modified by 65air_coupe, 11:22 PM 7/2/2004]
Well spoken.

Craig
Old 07-05-2004, 03:41 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hood separated, what glue to use? (Cmacsvette)

Well, it was stated that y`all wanted a definitive answer and we have you one. I understand that it is hard to determine the wheat from the chaff around here, but hang around a little and you will learn.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:57 PM
soppeng
Instructor

Wombvette, what's your thoughts on using a silocone caulk for those who don't have to have it exactly as the factory, but don't want to bond the hood to the braces and risk distortion?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood separated, what glue to use?