Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06

Old 04-18-2004, 10:57 PM
ike
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06

I hate to complain after such a beautiful weekend but my brakes have started to squeal something fierce after just 1000 miles. I mean, terrible, bone-rattling squealing at light to medium pressure on the brake pedal.

I tried the suggestion of a hard stop from high speed and the noise stayed the same.

I've owned 2 C4's and this is my 3rd C5. I've never heard brake squeal like this. It's downright embarassing to drive.

Also, the parking brake failed once already and popped a few seconds after I set it. I can't believe this car is in its last year of a 7-yr run and the parking brake still doesn't work right. That's one of the oldest technologies on a car.

Has anyone had such a terrible experience with the brakes squealing? Was the service department able to solve it ? I was really, really hoping that I wouldn't have to take this car in for at least 6 months as my previous '01 coupe was in for various repairs 6 times in the first year and a half.

Sorry for the rant, it was painful drawing stares from people at every red light because of the noise and not the looks of the car.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (ike)

That is not normal - it should be easily fixed, usually putting some stuff on the back of the pads.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ceramic brake pads.

Mine squeal too, from what I've heard switching to ceramics fixes the problem completely.

Put the stock pads back on if you are going to run on a road course, or hard mountain driving, etc.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:13 PM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (Thud)

Thanks for the incredibly quick reponses. I was thinking of ceramics but jeez, the stock pads shouldn't sound like this. It is the most annoying brake squeal I have ever heard. Not even the most tolerant person could live with them like this.

Maybe I'll try the goo on the back of the pads before I take it in for service. Chevrolet service departments make me nervous.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:15 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi ike -

Problem # 1 - brake squeal.

I think this is exacerbated by the excessive dust the stock pads generate.
When mine start making noise, I pay extra attention to the front disc rotors and calipers when I get to the spray wash...it'll stop the squeek for a while -

The first 1k miles was absolutely terrible for dust on the wheels - after that they are just terrible... :yesnod: :lol:

problem #2 - how hard are you pulling the brake handle? I have never heard a pop in the system before...It is easy enough to check out...Can you tell if you broke a cable?

Good luck - and best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 PM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (mqqn)

Hi mqqn,

The parking brake "pop" also happened in both of my previous C5 coupes. I pull the brake lever until the car stops. Not a hard jerk or anything. Occassionally, it just 'pops' and the brake releases but the handle it still up. I lower the handle and re-set the brake and then it holds - the cable isn't broken. I could understand this problem on my previous '98 but was hoping to find it fixed 6 years later.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive my car about as hard as possible, have never noticed any squeal except when the brakes were on the last leg..you should check your brakes.

AS far as the parking brake goes, it is probably out of adjustment, pull the rotor and adjust it, very easy. If it is a new car, shoudn't be unless you drove around with the parking brake on.

Tim
Old 04-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

[QUOTE]Hi mqqn,

Occassionally, it just 'pops' and the brake releases but the handle it still up. I lower the handle and re-set the brake and then it holds - the cable isn't broken. QUOTE]

I have had that EXACT issue occur on my 03 ZO6. I just ignore it...

Like your new sig Mqqn!!
Old 04-19-2004, 01:56 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (Dr.Ron)

Hi mqqn,

Occassionally, it just 'pops' and the brake releases but the handle it still up. I lower the handle and re-set the brake and then it holds - the cable isn't broken. QUOTE]

I have had that EXACT issue occur on my 03 ZO6. I just ignore it...

Like your new sig Mqqn!!
Hi Dr.Ron -

Thanks!

best regards -

mqqn

Old 04-19-2004, 02:12 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hi ike -

Hi mqqn,

The parking brake "pop" also happened in both of my previous C5 coupes. I pull the brake lever until the car stops. Not a hard jerk or anything. Occassionally, it just 'pops' and the brake releases but the handle it still up. I lower the handle and re-set the brake and then it holds - the cable isn't broken. I could understand this problem on my previous '98 but was hoping to find it fixed 6 years later.

Dang - that just doesn't sound right to me :eek:

I will be looking at an 01 Z06 brake setup Wednesday - a freind that has been telling me that he has no e-brake and his Z rolls on hills when parked.

I looked in the manual - I would remove the rear wheels and look at where the rear cables connect to the actuator lever on the back of each brake.

The actuator looks like a little hook and the cable end is an elongated eye - it could be that the cables are improperly connected in that area - maybe too much slack and the cable ends are contacting the end of the actuator, and then they "pop" into place in the actuator lever...?

You'll have to remove the rear rotors to go much further, if it is not a cable issue.

best regards -

mqqn

Old 04-19-2004, 10:34 AM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (mqqn)

I think the 'pop' issue with my parking brake is at the handle rachet mechanizm and not at the wheel. Something lets loose.

But the real issue for me is the squeal. It was God-awful this morning driving to work. It's a shame to have to work on a brand-new car already.

I love the car in general but am dissappointed that some of the issues on very basic systems that I had with my previous '98 are still here on the '04. I really hope that the half-a-dozed other issues that my '98 had don't re-appear on this one as well.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a shame to have to work on a brand-new car already.
:iagree:
Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
ledfoot
Melting Slicks

Something's wrong, take the car back to the dealer ASAP...I would not put up with that for one city block.

while you're at it....have them bleed and upgrade your brake fluid to 5.0. I cannot understand why the general didn't put in a stronger fluid, knowing that most of us are going to put enornous stress on our cars/brakes.

David in Indy

[Modified by ledfoot, 9:46 AM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 AM
ZO6Lee
Advanced

Not Right At All, Get Them looked at.
:thumbs: :iagree: :thumbs:
Old 04-19-2004, 11:33 AM
ike
Racer

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (ZO6Lee)

Yeah, I guess that's what I need to do - take it to the service department and hope they don't break or scratch something else. 3-weeks of ownership and already the first service dept. visit :(

Thanks for all the comments !
Old 04-19-2004, 02:09 PM
DWS'03Z
Racer

definitely take it in and have the brakes checked.......the stock pads make a light sqweek with a lot of dust, but do not squeal.....
Old 04-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (ledfoot)

Something's wrong, take the car back to the dealer ASAP...I would not put up with that for one city block.

while you're at it....have them bleed and upgrade your brake fluid to 5.0. I cannot understand why the general didn't put in a stronger fluid, knowing that most of us are going to put enornous stress on our cars/brakes.

David in Indy
I hope you are not suggesting the use of DOT 5 brake fluid in a street car with ABS. :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06

Old 04-19-2004, 04:29 PM
ScottZ
Racer

I second all the motions that something is wrong with your brakes. I have over 5k miles and they don't squeak at all. However, I have had the parking break "pop" a couple of times as you describe. I've noticed that it only happens if I pull it up really violently. I'm much gentler with it now and it never happens :cheers:
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
1hotZ06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (Zoomin)

That is not normal - it should be easily fixed, usually putting some stuff on the back of the pads.
Mine just started squeaking this last week under light pressure. Only 2,500 miles on the car. Just what do you mean by "stuff"? I'm interested... tell me more!

Keep :seeya

[Modified by 1hotZ06, 8:35 PM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06 (1hotZ06)

The fluid is DOT 5.1 if you want to get technical. I was corrected on this from an earlier post. It will not hurt anything. Mine is full of it now. I also have a squeal from the right rear of my EradiSpeeds, pulled it apart once already, checked pads, re-bled the right rear, everything checked out as far as I could see. Noise is gone upon hard braking, just light stops. I am running the Hawk Street pads with about 8000 miles on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Embarrassed to drive my new '04 Z06