C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help!

Old 04-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help!

I am installing a Transgo shift kit in my 97 coupe and have a couple of questions I need help with. When removing the 3-4 accumulator piston from the transmission case there was no 3-4 accumulator spring with it. I don't know if some 4L60E transmissions didn't have this upper accumulator spring or if it just was never installed when the tranny was built at the factory. It has ran 25000 miles this way with no problem. Included in the Transgo kit was a yellow spring in a sealed bag along with a couple of small orifice plugs. The yellow spring is not mentioned at all in the Transgo directions but looks like it would be the spring that goes on the 3-4 accumulator piston. My questions are:
1. Is the yellow spring in the kit supposed to go on the 3-4 accumulator?
2. Why wouldn't my transmission have had a 3-4 accumulator spring in the first place?
3. Why don't the Transgo instructions even mention this spring that they include in the kit?
If anyone could help me with this it sure would make my weekend as I could finish this up as everything else is done. If you have the kit that came with the video and the better instruction sheets and could check or scan something for me anything would help.

Thanks for your time,
Mark
:seeya
Old 04-18-2004, 02:54 AM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help! (Suprfun)

Mark: My '04 A4 did not have the 3-4 acc. spring either. Use the yellow spring in the kit (my kit directions show it on page 5.) Install the spring in the case first then the piston (cup end toward spring).
Old 04-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Suprfun
Pro

Default Re: Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help! (BHP)

Mark: My '04 A4 did not have the 3-4 acc. spring either. Use the yellow spring in the kit (my kit directions show it on page 5.) Install the spring in the case first then the piston (cup end toward spring).
BHP,
Thanks! You have just confirmed what I figured had to be done. I read on another web page about flipping the cup. Also you have explained something else; my instructions didn't mention this spring at all. The reason for this is my instructions don't have a page 5! It sure would be nice if Transgo would have a complete copy of their install instructions on their site! Any chance of you sending me page 5? There were two small orifices in the same sealed bag with the spring do your instructions mention them? Thanks again for taking your time to help me I sure appreciate it!

Take care,
Mark
:seeya
Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Which kit do you have? My kit says 4L60E-series B, Transgo 2002. There was an early kit for 97-00 cars.

There are actually 3 pages numbered front and back to page 5. On the back of page 5, is page 4, which shows (2) silver cup plugs. These are only used on a complete rebuild. Perhaps you are missing a page or have an earlier/different kit?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Suprfun
Pro

Default Re: Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help! (BHP)

Which kit do you have? My kit says 4L60E-series B, Transgo 2002. There was an early kit for 97-00 cars.

There are actually 3 pages numbered front and back to page 5. On the back of page 5, is page 4, which shows (2) silver cup plugs. These are only used on a complete rebuild. Perhaps you are missing a page or have an earlier/different kit?
That is the same kit that I have with the exception that mine is what they call the professional "Reprogramming Kit" and the only difference is that this kit doesn't have the video and the better install instructions. My instructions say "4L60E-HD2-C" and there are 4 pages of instructions. I seem to be lacking page 5 of the instructions. The kit was purchased new and was shrink wrapped so I'm sure they just forgot to add page five when they put the instructions together. The kit also included several sets of clutch piston apply springs that would only be used on a rebuild also. So it looks like I can go ahead and put the accumulator spring in and finish it up. BTW my instructions were only printed on one side of the pages. I appreciate all your help I hope I can get the opportunity to repay you some time.

Best regards,
Mark
Old 04-18-2004, 12:55 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Ok, that explains it, I have the consumer kit. A few more tips:

1. Be sure to use an inch pound wrench on the valve body bolts.
2. Check the fluid HOT with engine running, fill until in stops running out of the pan. If you check cold you will be 1/4 quart too much and the tranny will slip 1-2 shift.
3. I used only 1 washer in the 1-2 acc. If you have a stall converter you will need 2-3 washers.

The 2-3 shift will not be as firm as the 1-2 shift. You can fix this in LS1-Edit by increasing the 2-3 base pressure to 50 psi from 0-200 ft lbs.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 AM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case anyone needs this again in the future, heres a full install video on a C5

Get notified of new replies

To Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transgo 4L60E-HD2-C install questions. Help!