Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Driveway Help! Car scraping!

Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
96 CE LT-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveway Help! Car scraping!

Well i have finally decided to take the bull by the horns and fix my driveway. For years i have had to maneuver my car in such a way to minimize scraping of the front end. My question is, have any of you made modifications to your driveway to make it easier for your car to go in and out. I think its gotta be the pitch of the concrete at the base of the driveway because of the sidewalk. A neighbor has warned me that because of the sidewalk and the fact that the township has put this in, that i can not alter it in any way, but this neighbor does seem to be a know it all so i am not taking him too serious. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. THanks
Old 04-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (96 CE LT-4)

Not an expert but I would suggest that the area from the sidewalk to the street is the easement which could be controlled by one of several govermental agencies. You'll need to know your rights to your property area. I know in our sub-division that we could not make alterations from where are driveways meet the sidewalk and beyond to the street. Even though we are responsible for maintaining the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street.

Can't you just enter at a slight angle? I know if I drove straight on into the driveway I'd hit for sure, heck my Camaro hit too. So I just always enter at an angle. It's a little tight when I have visitors parked in the driveway too but I can still make it without hitting. Hope you get it resolved.

:seeya
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
96 CE LT-4
Instructor

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (93JetJocky)

Thanks for the help! Coming in on an angle is the only way i can even approach my driveway. If i come in on angle it scrapes, not real real bad, but bad enough that its scraping up my front spoiler. It sucks cause my driveway is relatively flat, its just that last portion that causes the problems.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JetJockey is correct. From my experience (I used to be a drafter at a Civil Engineering firm), all towns have 5', 10', or sometimes 15' easements between the edge of the road and your property. Even though it is technically YOUR property, you cannot alter any gov't installed items, i.e. sidewalks, water/sewer lines, etc.

Now, realistically, as long as you do a good job redoing the sidewalk, and don't make it look like doodoo, I doubt the city would say anything about it. Just try to do it as fast as you can, just in case the wrong city worker happens to drive by.

Good luck! :thumbs:
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have the same problem and just live with it. I can not do any mods to the driveway area where the problem is because it would cause drainage issues.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In these here parts, cement contractors are certified to change out sidewalk sections. Call a contractor and find out if they do city sidewalk sections. Have them come out and see what they can do, if anything.

[Modified by brdd, 4:03 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (brdd)

Stupid question-- Why don't you go down to town hall and request to meet with the building inspector, explain to him the problem. Then if there is any ordinance he will tell you and possibly make an exception.

I would not spend the $ to redo the cement knowing there is a possibility of some political hack coming by and telling me to restore it.

Check it out 1st--nothing to lose. :cheers:
Old 04-06-2004, 05:40 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Clearly, you need to move to another house that has a corvette friendly driveway. :jester
Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Ocean County is weird, Toms River especially(well maybe not as bad as Lakewood), but I don't think you'll be able to alter that part of your driveway at all.

Some parts of TR though, there is no angle, the driveway meets the street level.

If you back into youyr driveway, you'll find you won't scrape at all. On my driveway if I don't approach at at least a 45 degree angle, I will scrape, but I can back straight in with no problems.

Give that a try, as they say at UPS, always leave an out.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:38 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (Mr Mojo)

Clearly sharp angled driveways must be banned... :crazy:

Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they may be able to stop you from permanently modifying the approach but i bet they cant say to much about a 2x12 or 2 laying in the low spot :)
dont know if thats an option but seems like you could come up with something that was removeable (non-permanent so you cant get fined) and would blend in enough to not look funky.
how old are your shocks?im hearing new shocks are lifting the cars a scosh,even the kyb budget ones.
i have my spoiler scraped pretty bad now too,makes it fuzzy looking at the bottom doesnt it :banghead:
im also concerned that scraping the spoiler could push up on the bumper and get things out of line as far as the bodylines go.that stuffs just held in alignment by a bunch of little bolts.i found several loose ones on my last fastener check up in that area.

[Modified by mitymek, 6:34 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-07-2004, 12:42 PM
96 CE LT-4
Instructor

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (mitymek)

I hear what you are saying about the spoiler getting all fuzzy!!
Good suggestion MR Mojo about backing in! I never tried that! And yes, Ocean County is SUCH a pain! :banghead:
Old 04-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Opium
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Supporter

Can you possibly make a nice looking ramp ( 2 x 6 with a beveled edge) to help ease the scraping?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
TiIngot
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same problem with my drive. It is also relatively flat but the front would scrape if entered straight on. I called the township road department and had them pave the (approx 12" wide) end of my drive to blend in the transition from the blacktop to my concrete. Esentially they raised the gutter portion of the road where the curb would be if there was no drive. It was enough to raise the front end and stop the problem.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Aussie Al
Heel & Toe

may i direct your attention to a different point of view? if you can't correct your driveway easily, try raising your vehicle momentarily when needed to solve the problem no matter where you go. We've been discussing this problem in a similar vein at
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=786885

[Modified by Aussie Al, 5:09 AM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
WAYWRONG
Pro

Ihad same problem when i bought my first vette. I went to public works garage and told them and all they said was consider it done.Two days later they added asphalt ramp that cut the angle It worked fine till i bought the 95 ,(lower)called and done the next day.You might luck out just ask
Old 04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
DarkRed95
Racer

Default Re: Driveway Help! Car scraping! (Mr Mojo)

If you back into youyr driveway, you'll find you won't scrape at all. On my driveway if I don't approach at at least a 45 degree angle, I will scrape, but I can back straight in with no problems.
:iagree:

I have to back up mine. The curb is high so the water in the cud de sac washes around and go down thehill to the double sewers at the bottom of the hill. Even when I go down from my driveway to the street I have to go very slow. Hey the car is always looking out from the garage, and looking ready to go not a bad thing!

Get notified of new replies

To Driveway Help! Car scraping!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driveway Help! Car scraping!