C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads??

What happens when you do this, I think I blew mine, forgot to disconnect the battery, removed old starter, wire sparked between my wrench and the exhaust pipe!! :eek: I didn't have time to check the link but the new starter i tested before i left the autoparts and when i put it in it just makes a high pitched noise and doesnt turn the car over. :beatdeadhorse: :shocked:
Old 04-01-2004, 08:08 AM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (Wheelman)

Sounds like your battery is a bit flat
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (Wheelman)

Sound like the starter motor is running but the solenoid is not engaging. That should mean the fusible link is OK. The battery cable is attached to the solenoid, not directly to the starter motor. That makes me think you may have fried the solenoid internals given you hear a whine when you turn the key. Did you get a new solenoid at the same time you got the starter??

Always pull the positive battery cable when working on the car. Extreme current draws like shorting out the positive cable can have some very bad effects on the cars electronics!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (c4cruiser)

Sound like the starter motor is running but the solenoid is not engaging. That should mean the fusible link is OK. The battery cable is attached to the solenoid, not directly to the starter motor. That makes me think you may have fried the solenoid internals given you hear a whine when you turn the key. Did you get a new solenoid at the same time you got the starter??

Always pull the positive battery cable when working on the car. Extreme current draws like shorting out the positive cable can have some very bad effects on the cars electronics!
No, the starter is good. The spark came after i pulled off the old one, before i put on the new one. I had the new one tested after i put it on on a bench, and it worked fine. Now i have no idea why it wont start. :mad
Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

How do i test to see if i am getting the proper voltage to the starter, and there are no opens in the circuit
Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (c4cruiser)

Yes, the solenoid is new it came already installed on the new starter.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The large red cable going to the starter motor does not have a fusible link. If you short this cable you will get all the current the battery is capable of delivering!. It is safer to remove the negative cable on the battery when you work on your electronics. This is due to the fact that removing the positive cable, your wrench could touch ground and cause large current to flow. The solenoid is a high current switch that turns on the starter motor and also engages the starter spur gear to the flywheel gear. If your starter motor runs and the engine isn't cranking, then the starter spur gear is not engaging with the flywheel gear.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (jfb)

The large red cable going to the starter motor does not have a fusible link. If you short this cable you will get all the current the battery is capable of delivering!. It is safer to remove the negative cable on the battery when you work on your electronics. This is due to the fact that removing the positive cable, your wrench could touch ground and cause large current to flow. The solenoid is a high current switch that turns on the starter motor and also engages the starter spur gear to the flywheel gear. If your starter motor runs and the engine isn't cranking, then the starter spur gear is not engaging with the flywheel gear.
Ok, i figured it wasnt engaging the flywheel....now the question is....what is the car side of that which would prevent it from starting?? The starter tested fine on a bench so it should be ok
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull the starter and look in the starter hole and at the flywheel. You may have missing teeth on the flywheel, so the starter spins rapidly because it has no load.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:49 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads?? (jfb)

You just need to shim the starter to correct the engagement of the teeth.

You'll need to installed starter shims between the block and the starter.

Sometimes it only calls for shim(s) under one side and other times it may call for shims under both.

Starter shims are available at most auto parts stores, or you can just use flat washer(s).

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads??

Quick Reply: Anyone ever blown the fusible link to the starter leads??