C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Symptoms of a bad EGR?

Old 03-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Tourney3p0
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of a bad EGR?

I read somewhere in the archives that a bad EGR could possibly cause a sound like lifter clatter a few minutes after the car is started.

My car has a sound like that (not a tick exactly, more like a clack) that starts around the time the car goes closed loop. I was almost certain that it was timing chain slap so I've bought a Cloyes set but haven't put it on yet.

Yesterday I got a code 32 immediately after starting my car, so I started poking around the archives and came across a couple of people saying a bad EGR could cause a similar sound. My EGR valve and tube are intact but my AIR system is gone.

I'd consult my Helms manual to see what it says about an immediate code 32, but I'm in the process of moving. It's here and I'm there.. anyway, I've always heard code 32 should come up after driving a few miles, not immediately.

I'm not really looking for how to fix code 32.. the code didn't come back after I stopped the car and restarted it. I know it's EGR, I'm just wondering if maybe that random code 32 could be related to my clatter under the hood.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:57 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Symptoms of a bad EGR? (Tourney3p0)

I've never heard of clatter from an EGR but when the code 32 comes up immediately after startup the ECM is detecting the EGR valve to be open when it has not been commanded to open.

While cruzing in closed loop mode the ECM will command the EGR valve to open and also throw a code 32 if it doesn't detect (via the EGR Temp Switch) that it has opened.

When you get around to servicing the EGR system there is a diagnostic method on my site.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My EGR only coded after 20 minutes of driving. Not right away. I tested it with a piece of vacuum hose and tested its ability to hold vacuum. It failed. I replaced it and code 32 was gone. Just suck in on the vacuum hose connected to the nipple on the valve. Watch to see if the plunger moves. Hold the hose closed and see if it leaks down. If it moves and doesn't leak down. You are good to go.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:54 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Symptoms of a bad EGR? (VAHROOM)

That clack or ticking is the solenoid or switch for the EGR. It is happening to my 85 every time I start it up. The noise is very audible, different from the injectors, and definitly from the passenger side by the EGR. I'm going to change the solenoid (kit from midamerica) and clean the EGR, and see what the results are. The shop manual says that a malfunctioning EGR will cause idle drop upon deceleration, which I do notice but it is not like the thing is going to stall. I'm hoping the EGR cleaning and switching of he solenoid will clear up the deceleration issue and stabilize my idle a little (not that my idle jumps too much anyway). :seeya :steering:oh yeah, I'm not getting any codes, either.

[Modified by jmrl98, 10:55 AM 3/18/2004]
Old 03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Symptoms of a bad EGR? (jmrl98)

I think I have the same problem. THe smog tech said the EGR was not responding like it should (yet it hasn't thrown any codes :confused:) I'm also hearing what I thought was injector ticking coming from near cylinders 6 and 8 (which is near the EGR solenoid on my 85).

I picked up a vacuum pump, and i'll diagnose everything tomorrow if I get a chance. New Delco EGR valve is already on its way..

[Modified by CentralCoaster, 7:44 PM 3/18/2004]
Old 03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Jloshotz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your plugs in cyls # 5 And # 6. When my EGR went bad In my 91 tuned port 5.7 z28 # 5 plug was detonated so bad it was rediculous. No Ground bar and electrode was actually hollowed out....scary

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Symptoms of a bad EGR?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symptoms of a bad EGR?