C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper relay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 07:00 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper relay?

hey all, I am looking for the name of the relay that controls the wiper, I thoiught it would be called a "wiper relay" but Napa and others can't find a listing of a relay for my vette by that name.

This is the relay that is just above my automatic trans shifter, in the console. Does anyone know where I can buy this relay from so I can get my wipers to come on?

btw, this is for our '79

[Modified by 68goat, 12:01 AM 1/13/2004]
Old 01-12-2004, 07:23 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay? (68goat)

What is your wiper system doing (or not doing)? No action at all when you slide the switch?

Things to check:

1) Wiper fuse in fuse panel
2) Override switch under steering column is functioning properly
3) Bad main wiper control switch
4) Wiper solenoid mounted on the back of the tachometer (fun getting at this one!)
5) Connections at wiper motor itself
6) Vacuum connections at the over ride switch and at solenoid at tach
7) Bad wiper motor itself.

Lots of things to troubleshoot on these systems. Buy yourself a good electrical schematic AND a good vacuum diagram. Try the factory service manual for the wiring diagram, and get a vacuum diagram from Dr. Rebuild http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/aaa-home.html.

Have patience, and best of luck.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:27 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

When I turn on the wiper switch the relay under the console, which I cold "hold" it would make a loud clicking sound. The wipers worked fine, then they stopped and this relay started the clicking noise and the wipers will not come on at all.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:42 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Could be the relay itself, or could be something else not properly activating that relay. Anyway, here's the link to Dr. Rebuild's catalog page. It's item "N" in the far right column.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/WIPER-MOTOR.PDF :thumbs:
Old 01-12-2004, 09:52 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That relay location on my '72 is for the power windows. It is fed by a 10ga red from the horn relay and then has a 10ga orangega from it thru the firewall and to relay under console.

Never mine, the other is there too. Have you checked the ground?

[Modified by 72GACRZR, 9:55 PM 1/12/2004]
Old 01-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

68goat, The 79 does not have a wiper relay,it's a direct feed.Do you have the intermittent wiper system,if so it sounds like that is faulty.

Neil.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:26 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

68goat, hey man, I got a buddy here in southside/Jax with a nice burgundy 68 goat.....all clean and nice....400/auto.....disc brakes, 14 inch wheels....stock as a stove...

GENE
Old 01-13-2004, 06:36 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Wiper relay? (mrvette)

Well then, I don't know what I have lol... It is a relay that is above my shifter, I don't know if I have intermit wipers or not, the wiper switch lets me push in to spay the windshield and then i think it has 3 or 4 steps to control the wiper speed.. This relay actually plugs into, what looks like a small circut board which is located just in front of the shifter (under the ashtray)...

mrvette, my Goat is also burgandy, no disk brakes though lol waiting on my new hooker headers to come in before she will be road worthy.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Yep thats the intermittent Wiper control module,you can try removing the circuit board,you may have an open or bad solder joint,those old components are common for that.
Whats a 68 goat.

Neil.

[Modified by Fleetwood, 12:31 AM 1/14/2004]
Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay? (Fleetwood)

Relay in console has nothing to do with wipers! The console is a warning buzzer, wiper system is complex, start at wiper motor housing with the basics, is it properly grounded to the engine block? Get a wiring diagram and start working back from motor and it's connections (I'm lazy and hate getting under the dash if I don't have to!) Use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) and ground negative side to engine block and search for where your positive "dissappears" (make sure and check motor housing to block, should read 0 volts with proper ground. The system is not that hard to troubleshoot but, one time I was "fooled" by a wiper motor that actually had an "open" drive resistor after the motor connection, you can wire direct to motor to see if all internal connections. Consider yourself LUCKY that you are not working on a 68-72 car, these are FUN!

[Modified by Solid LT1, 9:50 PM 1/14/2004]
Old 01-15-2004, 07:43 AM
theoUK
Pro

First notch of the switch = intermittent. Time between wipes is governed by the amount you rotate the ****. Second notch = low speed, third notch = high speed. Press downwards and hold = mist Press in = wash and three to five timed wipes

If you can be a bit more specific with your symptoms, there's a good chance I can help you out....
Like the others say, it could be a dodgy solder/connection in the control unit. You can't get these new anymore, unfortunately. Does your wiper motor turn at all?
The relay in the control board should click once as you move the switch to intermittent, then click again as you go back to off, or onwards to the slow position. If it does that, that's a start...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Default Re: Wiper relay? (Solid LT1)

Relay in console has nothing to do with wipers! The console is a warning buzzer, wiper system is complex, start at wiper motor housing with the basics, is it properly grounded to the engine block? Get a wiring diagram and start working back from motor and it's connections (I'm lazy and hate getting under the dash if I don't have to!) Use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) and ground negative side to engine block and search for where your positive "dissappears" (make sure and check motor housing to block, should read 0 volts with proper ground. The system is not that hard to troubleshoot but, one time I was "fooled" by a wiper motor that actually had an "open" drive resistor after the motor connection, you can wire direct to motor to see if all internal connections. Consider yourself LUCKY that you are not working on a 68-72 car, these are FUN!
From 79 onwards standard wiper systems did not use a relay,unless they were fitted with intermittent wipers,which has a switching relay fitted in the module,located forward from the shifter lever under the console.The warning buzzer is fitted to the fuse panel,not under the shifter console.

Neil.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:14 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

What is the "thing" that plugs into that circut board under the ash tray, which looks to be a relay?
Old 01-18-2004, 05:06 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Any of you 68 guys have a wiper over ride lamp that works? How does it work and what color is it?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Marc80
Racer

The relay by the ashtray is a choke relay I believe. The tend to go out and buzz. I removed mine and wired directly off a switched hot lead under the hood.

All this talk about fixing the wipers ....maybe I should fix mine.. especially in Florida. A couple of you sound like you know the diagnostic procedures pretty well. Don't be suprised if I try to get back to you when I get out there.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

What is the "thing" that plugs into that circut board under the ash tray, which looks to be a relay?
If it's attached to a box with an electronic circuit board inside,that is the intermittent wiper control.The relay switches supply to the wiper motor on & off depending on the set time delay.If you can hear this relay clicking on & off then the control side seems to be working,but power is not getting to the wiper motor.To work that out you will need a diagram & a test meter.

Neil.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:31 AM
theoUK
Pro

:iagree:
That relay essentially switches between allowing constant power up to the wiper motor OR allowing the electronics in the circuit board control the motor (for the delay mode).
Its a "normally closed" relay, which means in all wiper switch positions except delay, it'll be closed, and there will be a permanent 12V feed up to the motor (the full motor current runs thru the relay). When you put it in to delay, the relay should pop open, removing the constant 12V feed. Now the 12V is controlled electronically in "pulses" to give the delay feature.

Do you have no wiper function at all (delay or otherwise)?
Old 01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Wiper relay? (theoUK)

Correct Theo, no matter what position the wiper switch is in, the wipers do not move, the only thing that happens, is that relay makes a very loud clicking sound. I really need to know what to due because this is my girlfriends car and needs it to drive.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 PM
theoUK
Pro

If you can answer a few questions, and you've got a decent multimeter it should be reasonably easy to trouble shoot. SO the relay clicks? Well at least you have juice to the controller then...
Am i correct in thinking yours is like my 80, where you have a vertical switch to the left of the speedo?
"Off" being the lowest, or zero, position: the relay should click once when you move the switch up to the first position, then it should click off again as you move to the second position, but not when you move up to the third position. In other words, it only operates at all in the first (delay) position.

Assuming that's whats happening, I'd check a few wires on the motor itself. Make sure there is a good ground - this is a black wire plugged on to the motor case seperately to the three wire multiplug. Pull off and check this black wire is continuous to ground with a multimeter, and check it's connected back up tightly.

The three pin multiplug should have a purple or reddish wire in it - regardless of color, its the middle wire on mine. This is supposed to be grounded out only when you move the switch to any of the operating positions. So unplug this, put the switch into 1, 2 or 3 and check that this becomes a ground. Wouldn't hurt to clean this connector while its apart, too. If you don't see this grounding action, then suspect the switch, or maybe a bad ground connection elsewhere in the wiring.

With the ignition in run, the switch in 2 or 3 and the three wire plug APART still, check for battery voltage at the top wire on the plug (white or tan, maybe?) That's the main feed wire to the motor.

If all the above checks out, then it might point to a dodgy motor (or the park relay that lives inside it). It's not out of the question to pull it apart to fix it, but that depends on your determination!)

So, check the controller relay clicks on and off correctly
Check the main ground
Check for grounding of the purple/red (middle) wire thru the switch
Check for juice at the white/tan (top) wire in RUN

Sorry this is a bit long, just hope it covers your problem. Let us know what you find!

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper relay?

Quick Reply: Wiper relay?