C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bbk throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 AM
85vettelovin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bbk throttle body

easy questions. Who sells them to fit our cars? Or is it just a universal fit throttle body? Any issues/problems making the switch?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: bbk throttle body (85vettelovin)

I have a BBK on mine and its a piece of junk. You have to heat up the intake hose in hot water to get it to slide over the TB. I would spring for the Holley unit. The plate that goes on the top hit the underside of the hood.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:28 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree, the BBK is a very rough casting; I had to seriously grind the front surface of my 52mm unit to get the bellows to even begin to slide over it.

Go with the AS&M unit; it is a quality piece as are their other TPI products.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Default Re: bbk throttle body (65Z01)

I'd stay away from those BBK units as well, I hardly hear anything good from them.

AS&M, Lingenfelter & Holley make really nice Throttle Body's.
Check out this one I just recieved with my new TPIS MiniRam, it's a TPIS unit and the quality is amazing. :cool:

Old 10-17-2003, 03:29 AM
85vettelovin
Instructor

Holley's do look really nice. Does anyone have a picture of a throttle body from lingenfelter?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Wait a minute guys...there is one "good" thing about BBK's...a lot of them (including mine) whistle just like a supercharger...whenever I go somewhere there are car guys, they all think I have a blower... :reddevil ..they become afraid, very afraid... :lolg:
Old 10-17-2003, 09:58 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: bbk throttle body (Fuzzy Dice)

I have a BBK 58MM with NO problems, I like the fact that it has a set of bearings on both ends of the throttle blade shaft, unlike the stock units with bronze bushings I think.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:10 AM
black bart
Drifting

Default Re: bbk throttle body (Fuzzy Dice)

[QUOTE]Wait a minute guys...there is one "good" thing about BBK's...a lot of them (including mine) whistle just like a supercharger...whenever I go somewhere there are car guys, they all think I have a blower... :reddevil ..they become afraid, very afraid... :lolg:

QUOTE] I have that same strange sound but I don't have a BBK :lol:
I had a BBK but I sold it bought a Holley the Holley cost less then some of the high dollar ones but is every bit as good comes polished made from billet not a casting. I have a closeup picture of the Holley just use the link below to see what it looks like. Well worth the little extra over the BBK :cheers:
Old 10-17-2003, 11:49 AM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: bbk throttle body (black bart)

I've had the LPE 58mm piece and the 58mm BBK...The BBK is a casting and it is not as nicely finished as the CNC machined billet LPE unit. Having said that the BBK worked fine for me (after I used an endmill to open up the flange for the mounting bolts a little bit). But, DO NOT USE ONE ON A FORCED INDUCTION MOTOR!!! I built a S/C F-body and used one and the boost bent the throttle blade shaft! Thinking it was a fluke I replaced it and it did the other one as well... A buddy who owns an import shop also has had the same problem with the BBK t.b.'s...Their shaft material sucks!! I put an LPE on the F-body and my import buddy uses Accu-Fabs now.
-Jeb

Get notified of new replies

To bbk throttle body

Quick Reply: bbk throttle body