C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Point Distributor--How to set up??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:09 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Dual Point Distributor--How to set up??

Can anyone give me the basics on how to set up the points on a dual point distributor? I bought a dual point, tach drive mallory unit (used but in great condition) I had it in my car running, then I took it out to swop the intake (I very accuratley marked the position of the rotor arm and the direction of the tach drive cable) When out of the car I noticed that one set of points was disconnected..so I re-connected them, put the distributor back on the car.
Car starts up..everything is fine, until I go to check the timing.
I connect my timing light (positive, negative and clamp around number 1 plug lead) thing is...I can't see the timing mark on the balancer anymore.
Now I have remarked it and turned the distributor both ways (as much as it would travel) but I still cant see the mark. If it was outside of the limits of the travel I dont think it would run...what I am thinking is that somehow one of the set points is not set up right and making my timing light seem off...any ideas?
Someone got basic steps on how to tune a dual point distributor?

cheers
Nick
Old 08-21-2003, 09:21 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Dual Point Distributor--How to set up?? (lvrpool32)

Reconnecting the other set of points probably altered the dwell and therefor the timing, but not as much as you describe....may be an obvious question but are you sure you have #1 wire?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:19 AM
blackbirdpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dual Point Distributor--How to set up?? (lvrpool32)

If I remeber correctly ( I had a dual point Malory in my Camaro for a while). You will need to isolate the point sets. Insert a peice of thick cards stock or thin cardboard in one set. crank the motor and Adjust the points with a dwell meter utill they read 24-26degs. Then isolate the first set of points and set the second set. When you pull the cardboard and crank the motor reading should be 33-34 degs. If you use feller gagues, set each point set to.022 inch. Now you can reset the timming. Double check that you have the correct wire though. You should be able to see the mark regardless. If the timming was set so far off that you couldnt see it the motor would have a real hard time starting or back fire through the carb badly and kick back.
:thumbs:
Old 08-22-2003, 08:06 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dual Point Distributor--How to set up?? (blackbirdpilot)

If I remeber correctly ( I had a dual point Malory in my Camaro for a while). You will need to isolate the point sets. Insert a peice of thick cards stock or thin cardboard in one set. crank the motor and Adjust the points with a dwell meter utill they read 24-26degs. Then isolate the first set of points and set the second set. When you pull the cardboard and crank the motor reading should be 33-34 degs. If you use feller gagues, set each point set to.022 inch. Now you can reset the timming. Double check that you have the correct wire though. You should be able to see the mark regardless. If the timming was set so far off that you couldnt see it the motor would have a real hard time starting or back fire through the carb badly and kick back.
:thumbs:
:iagree:

But, the best thing for you to do is buy the Unilite optical pickup conversion kit. Also, be sure you don't have the full 12 volts going to the distributor... It will burn up the points or conversion kit. If you are unsure, measure and ask about the ballast resistor that Mallory sells... I was having tons of problems with mine and then found out that there was no ballast resistor... burning my points up quickly!! :eek: I converted to the Unilite electronic unit and no more problems!!! :cool:
Old 08-22-2003, 08:39 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Dual Point Distributor--How to set up?? (blackbirdpilot)

Thanx for the info guys.
I think I may just be having an issue seeing the marker on the balancer (its a fluidamper type)
The car is running real nice, so the timing can't be that far off. I am amazed how quickly it winds up when I blip the throttle, I am guessing that when I went from the stock 8" to the smaller 6 something" that would help.
I am running a 274Xtreme comp cam, CC Roller rockers, DART heads, DART kool can intake, demon MS and it all seems to be doing good other than not being able to time the damn thing
:confused:

Once again...thanx guys.

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Point Distributor--How to set up??

Quick Reply: Dual Point Distributor--How to set up??