C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about?

Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 PM
sgp99
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about?

Last night I started my 99 coupe and found that the AC was blowing cold air out the center and driver's side vents and hot air out the passenger vents. I had the AC on auto set at 68 and the outside temp read 79. The passenger control was set in the middle of the temp gage. There are no codes in the DIC for the HVAC.

I checked for some past threads on this subject and tried some of the suggested fixes. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes in hope that the system would reset...this did not work. I tried to adjust the temp settings and nothing changed. I even let the car sit overnight and started it up this a.m. The problem is still there.

Anyone had this problem that found a way to fix it? Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?
Old 08-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about? (sgp99)

Sounds like one of the plenum chamber doors might be stuck.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:21 PM
sgp99
Racer

Default Re: Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about? (sgp99)

Is this something I can fix and if yes, how or do I have to take it to a Chevy dealer?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:24 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem..take it to the dealer for the fix :yesnod: The sensor and the vent actuator are shot..you will need new parts..easy fix!! :D
Old 08-16-2003, 10:55 PM
z0sense
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about? (vstella)

What sensor?

I just started having this problem. Except my passenger side is cold and my driver's side is hot.

It started yesterday also:(

Help...................
Old 08-17-2003, 09:17 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are temperature door actuators for the left and right side...Faulty actuators are common :yesnod:
Old 08-17-2003, 10:04 AM
spdnman
Pro

This worked for me. Pull 3 A/C fuses underhood and under passenger side kick panel (Underhood & Floorboard), Start Ignition & Actuator doors should reset. The internal air flow doors for the Left and Right vents of the Dual Zone unit are controlled by independent actuators. It is possible that somehow the actuator on one side got "confused". If you pull the fuse for the A/C unit and replug in, the A/C system will go through an initialization routine and move all internal actuator doors to their extreme Open and Closed positions in order to calibrate the limits. Once you put the fuses back in and turn the key to Start, let the system go through this process (you should hear the actuators doing their thing). Once that is complete, if you still have problems then likely the actuator is starting to go, but I would bet it was just a memory glitch.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:17 AM
college_guy
Racer

DON'T TAKE IT TO THE DEVIL ...err dealer :reddevil . If you don't feel like hunting down the fuses just disconnect the battery for a minute. Did this with mine. Now they both blow the same temberature :steering: Hope this helped
Old 08-17-2003, 10:27 AM
z0sense
Drifting

My question is this.

If my "door" was messed up. How does anything come through it at all?

I mean, if it is messed up, wouldn't it just not have anything coming out? If it were open it would blow cold air right? How is it that hot air is coming out (at full speed)?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:52 PM
sgp99
Racer

Default Re: Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about? (spdnman)

spdnman,

I tried your suggestion of removing the 3 fuses. When the system reset the result was that the blowing hot air on the passenger side stopped, but there is still no cool air coming out the passenger side. I assume that there is still something stuck or not working in the system.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:08 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: (z0sense)

My question is this.

If my "door" was messed up. How does anything come through it at all?

I mean, if it is messed up, wouldn't it just not have anything coming out? If it were open it would blow cold air right? How is it that hot air is coming out (at full speed)?
It is a hot/cold door,not an on/off door ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air conditioner..cold on driver side..hot on passenger side. What is this all about?