C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a color change from original affect the value of a car?

Old 08-06-2003, 10:50 AM
SouthernC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does a color change from original affect the value of a car?

My apologies, the C3 is off the market due to a family crisis!

[Modified by SouthernC3, 2:24 PM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 11:19 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (SouthernC3)

I would think a good newer paint job would be worth more than an old crappy original paint job, even if it was a different color. But thats just me. I bought my car with black interior and black paint, the original color was tan with brown interior... and I'm happy with it. I probably would not have bought it if it was tan and brown.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (SouthernC3)

Well, my car was origanally white :U and is now Millenium Yellow. To a collector the car has little value, the fact that my interior is not stock, also reduces it value to a collector, as well as the motor not being stock. It depends on who is buying the car. If they are one of those NCRS people :yawn: , it will be worth little, to everyone else it will be worth more.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:46 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, in general, the condition of the paint job and body work counts the most. If your car has a 9+ quality paint job in a non-original color, it will be worth more than if it had a "4" quality paint job in the correct color. The fact that your car is painted "resale red" will likely help you sell it to the right buyer. Lots of folks long for a bright red vintage chrome bumper Corvette.

That said, I seem to remember that your car is very original and "correct" from a numbers standpoint. This is where the impact of the non-original paint color will hurt you. Most folks who care about numbers, originality, and correctness would also like for the car to be painted in the original color.

So I think your car falls in a tough "intersection" of two different categories. On one hand, it's very original and should bring a good price based on that. On the other hand, the non-original color detracts from the premium that you can get for the originality. The folks who are interested in buying an original car will want to deduct for the non-original color. The folks who want to buy a nice shiny red Corvette are unwilling to pay a premium for the originality of your car.

Shannon
Old 08-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (Dwayne 76)

Someone looking at the car from a NCRS/Bloomington perspective would view the color change as a 5-6K "mistake", as they would want the original color coded on the trim tag. SO....depends on who's looking at it :) Chuck
Old 08-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (Chuck Gongloff)

...SO....depends on who's looking at it :) Chuck
Which is..........pretty much what I said :cheers:
Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The maximun that it could affect the value would be the cost of a repaint :) All will depend upon if the person looking is into originality or not.

tom...
Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (sb69coupe)

The folks who are interested in buying an original car will want to deduct for the non-original color. The folks who want to buy a nice shiny red Corvette are unwilling to pay a premium for the originality of your car.

Shannon
Very well said.

If I was looking for a matching numbers car, yours would be great. If I was looking for a potential Top Flight car, I would mentally deduct what it needed to reach that stage as it sits now. That would be a $5k paint job.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:57 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

from an autobody guy, as long as it's shiney it will sell.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:00 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (bloodvette80)

let me add, theres more people looking for a shiney corvette than an old dull original. I say paint it whatever color you want its yours. Don't let its "value" change your opinion unless your selling it. But :nono: sell it unless your buying another one. :)
Old 08-06-2003, 04:37 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The above are good arguments, however, in my mine it is how you advertise it. If you say numbers matching and the paint doesn't, then that's a problem. If you are a smart corvette buyer(I wasn't) you find the cost of a fully restored car, (numbers matching if that's what you want or slightly customized) say $26,000 and subtract what you have to spend to make the one you are looking at a $26,000 car, so a $5,000 paint job to match numbers would be important. If you want a custom or driver then a good any color you could live with is a good deal and no further expense.

The numbers matching will attract the type of buyers that are looking for exactly that and expect it. Whereas, if you say all numbers match except paint, then they likewise know what to expect.

Just my .02cents
Old 08-06-2003, 04:38 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems to me that there are few buyers for NCRS perfect cars. If they are, they're looking for a very low mileage car with unique options (BB w/ AC, LT-1 w/ AC). And they are willing to pay top dollar.

I think the market is deeper for those looking for an affordable muscle car that looks good and is in dependable drivable condition.

Remember - all Corvettes are red under whatever other paint was mistakenly applied.......
Old 08-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (flynhi)

I am sure it does however I wanted my car to be unique and it does not affect my value at all............Cause I would not sell it :lol:
Old 08-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (Alwyn678)

This is what I would do. If the color change is hurting the sale of your car go to http://www.trimtags.com and get a tag made with code 973 red. Then sell it as the original color.

How many of these big dollar mid-year cars for sale do you think are 100% correct. Most have restamped engines or were small block cars that are now big blocks and have been color changed to more popular color combos. The trim tags have been changed and without tank stickers or POP plates who Knows?

Think about this I have been told that Pontiac offers owners of old Pontiac's cars a chance to get the buildsheet and history of where the car was sold new.

GM has ALL of the info, but Chevrolet doesn't off it other than Bowling Green built Corvettes. "Why" how would you like to find out that your 67 435 red car was born a 300hp powerglide in white.

As stated by someone before, NCRS show car buyers are looking for A/C bigblocks or LT-1's 98 point cars and lets face it they are trailer queens.

I sell used Corvettes for a living and MOST buyers who ask if it is a numbers matching car don't even know where to look to see if it is. Most of the ones who think they know, only know where the vin is stamped in the rightside of the block after that they are lost.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:51 PM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm looking for a 70-72, the first thing I ask is it numbers matching. Now. I don't claim to be an vette expert, far from being one, but I do try to educate myself on issues that are important to me and know where the numbers are. I want the engine, tranny and rear axle to be original. If there shot, I will rebuilt them.

I would guess that most are not original. Most people will change the carb., pump up the engine, add headers, etc., that in itself changes the preception of the vehicle.

As for as the paint job goes, as long as it is a color I like, no big deal, if I don't like the color and everything else is to my liking, I can have it paint. I'm not entering into shows and know nothing about judging, but I think most people like to start out know they have all of the parts that was on it when it was new.

[Modified by C3RC, 4:52 AM 8/7/2003]

[Modified by C3RC, 4:54 AM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:03 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (C3RC)

Color changes and values have much to do with the car, the buyer, the current color and the factory color.

First thing first, if you're going to change the color, it's always best to choose a correct alternate factory color. If red and black were available in that year, those are usually the best resale colors for sports cars.

Certain cars will have an easier time selling if they are repainted. If your car was "War Bonnet Yellow" (tan) from the factory, you're better off with Mille Miglia Red, unless of course, your car is factory-original and otherwise NCRS perfect.

Hard colors to sell (not based just on Corvettes, but classic cars overall):
Brown, Tan, Mint Green, Apple Green, Turquoise (solid axle vettes, not so much, but these are usually painted red/white coves now,) orange (except camaro.)

Good colors: red, black, silver
Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I think that the NCRS guys would really crap over my car then as it is a 72 ZR-1 vert, I know had GM tell me all about it as well but quite frankly I didn't know it when I bought it a # of years ago for that matter I didn't even know what an LT-1 was I just thought that there were 4 basic models a sb and a bb both avail as a coupe or vert. Since the mid 80's it has had a few creature comforts added to it like a heater and a stereo and added ps. I have many of the original parts that I have upgraded but the car will be given to my son when I can no longer drive it. Now the paint was originally Ontario Orange and it is now Mille Miglia and it is in dire need of repainting. Given the fact that I like to drive around the hills and valleys here I in all likelihood won't repaint for awhile. Wow that was long winded - choose what you want as it is you that is paying the tab and has to live with it day in day out. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How does a color change from original affect the value of a car?

Old 08-07-2003, 05:10 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Color is YOUR choice. Changing the trim tag is a common way to solve the "numbers matching" issue.

There is no data base, other than BG built cars to contradict any well done changes to your car.

I often wonder, How many Corvettes, (C3 and earlier), appear exactly the way they left the factory? Colors? Options?

Bottom line...It's YOUR car to do with as you will. ENJOY!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:53 AM
pzcg7l
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (Chuck Gongloff)

Someone looking at the car from a NCRS/Bloomington perspective would view the color change as a 5-6K "mistake", as they would want the original color coded on the trim tag. SO....depends on who's looking at it :) Chuck
:iagree: It all depends who's looking at the car...
Old 08-07-2003, 08:49 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Default Re: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car? (pzcg7l)

dude -

if a buyer gives you a hard time about the color, tell him to look for another car. It's that simple. If they're going to hassle you that much over the color, they're more than likely a "tire-kicker" anyway, or they're just looking for any angle to get you to come down on the price. If they get you rattled, they'll point out any flaw to make you feel that your car is not worth what you're asking. Stick to your guns, and if they cry about the price, the color being "incorrect," or anything else, thank them for coming to look at the car, and politely suggest that this might not be the car for them. For every knucklehead that gives you a hard time, there's a serious buyer with money in his pocket that will buy your car for what you're asking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does a color change from original affect the value of a car?