C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

"Power" shut off at high rpm?

Old 06-24-2003, 03:05 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Power" shut off at high rpm?

I've got a '91 and have had the computer shut down to normal power on me a few of times recently. Seems to happen at high rpm's in 3rd gear. I feel the engine swith to normal power and the @service engine@ light comes on.

All gauges in the green, no stumbling, etc. Have been able to shut the engine down and power has come back fine once restarted.

Any ideas, a fellow ZR-1 owner told me he had similar probs and wound up replaceing the compuker? :confused:

[Modified by York67vette, 3:06 AM 6/24/2003]
Old 06-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (York67vette)

When the light comes on what code is thrown? When you say high rpm, how high? It could be something simple as the air duct collapsing, but I'd check the code first.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:17 AM
gmanZR1
Instructor

I had a similar problem; turned out to be a cam sensor, but you gotta check the codes to be sure.
some codes once set, will keep the engine in the valet mode as protection against further possible damage from occurring
Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (Scoob)

Get the code from the computer. Sounds like a bad secondary vacuum pump.(Code 61 I think) I had a leak that made my pump go bad. It threw a code when the pump died. I put a new pump on and it fixed it for the moment. It turned out I had a few vacuum leaks that proceeded to get worse. Once I fixed those all was well again.

About 2 weeks after installing the new pump my car would pull through first gear just fine. But in 2nd or 3rd if I pulled up into the 5500-6000RPM range the car would fall on it's face. One of my secondary actuators would not hold vacuum and would close the right bank. It felt like the key was not turned on at all.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:53 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (BiZ)

Dam Tony. If you weren't in the UK every two weeks having a great time, I would help you pull the codes anytime.

The car seem to be running fine last night when the back-up driver was blasting down the back roads of York County. I was with Diane when I saw this young woman shoot past me very quick in a Red ZR-1. Car looked to be running fine to me. :jester
Old 06-24-2003, 05:42 PM
The Lurker
Racer

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (fastzr1)

On my 91 I had the computer just go nuts on me twice. No codes, no nothing, just the A/C goes completely crazy, the power switch is gone, it's like the car blew its brains out. I turn it off and restart it and it is like nothing happened. I never figured it out. And no, it is not the A/C going nuts. I've had that happen several times. It's the car, it's possessed!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:56 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (BiZ)

Thanks Guys!!! I'll pull the codes when I get back "in country". :flag

Ed, You should have seen "the back up driver" run up to the speed limit with a couple of crotch rockets Sunday :reddevil

Dad's in the passenger seat yelling "Nail It" and the crotch rocket riders are wondering what kind of Vette just blew them away 15-60mph (2nd gear).

:rofl:
Old 06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: "Power" shut off at high rpm? (The Lurker)

It's the car, it's possessed!
Probably the altitude in Katmandu :lol:
Old 06-26-2003, 10:07 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Ed, You should have seen "the back up driver" run up to the speed limit with a couple of crotch rockets Sunday :reddevil
I am sure the back up driver will tear up the course in Anderson.
Also, I was going to take the wheels and stuff to Jeff, but when I called your house no one was home. So I'll take them over this weekend.
And, check out the sig. Time to find a new home for the rocker panels.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:27 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Ed, You have mail
Old 07-07-2003, 02:01 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed,

Heard you were going to Ohio to get the car now that you have a BRAND NEW garage for it. Heard somehing about a house or something attached to the garage to?

Mine made it back from Anderson but just barely. I'm pulling codes later today, power started cutting out on second laps Saturday and finally would not even come on for the ride home. Had now choise but to drive it back to VA.

Tony
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Pulled the codes tonight, 44=engine running lean, and 55=lean exhaust. My book says to check the O2 sensor and fuel pressure. I hope I did not kink a fuel line changing tires at Anderson, I did not have a hockey puck and used Jeff's new "Harbour Freight" jack to lift each side.

Get notified of new replies

To "Power" shut off at high rpm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Power" shut off at high rpm?