C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers?

Old 06-13-2003, 12:58 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers?

Just curious if anyone is using Stahl's side exhaust headers on their C3?
If so any pics that could be posted to see how they look and or any other comments about them?
Also any big block guys using them?
Old 06-13-2003, 01:41 PM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers? (James)

i'm planning to... i'll probably purchase in the next 30 days or so. i'm still undecided on how to coat them; jet hot, etc....

i know a few guys have them now and have provided some positive feedback. hopefully they will chime in.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:20 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

James,

I have Stahl side pipe headers on my 1980 SBC. My experience with Jere Stahl was anything but positive. To be truthful, I think the problem is mainly with SBC since I know people that run BBC and have no fit issues. When I originally installed my headers the height to the primaries was right in the way of the opening the doors. When I called to bring this to Jere's attention he said that it was my car's fault and that he has been building headers for thirty years and never had this problem. He further went on to say that his side pipe headers were strictly for racing and there fore didn't need to clear the doors. There was an extra charge to lengthen the headers to hang lower plus the shipping. His comment on the extra 2.5" length I needed was that there would be a ground clearance and that I would be sorry that I lengthen them and he was not responsible for ruining his headers. I paid the fee and they fit perfectly. Growing up in NJ curing the 60's, I used to run at the same tracks that he did and I always had the greatest respect for him. Once I did business with him my opinion was drastically changed. To make matters worse, I also had clearance issues with my Steeroid's rack and pinion.

I can email you some images over the weekend if you want. Jim (JCL79383@aol.com) who makes my Spiral Sidepipes was talking about finding a header maker to fabricate side pipe headers. This was after he learned about all the problems I was having in getting and fitting the Stahl's. If you have any questions that I can answer please email me.

Ken
Old 06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I guess I missed this thread on the first pass, but thought I'd offer my experience with Stahl. I bought Stahl headers for performance since their hardcore reputation was top's in that area for the older bigblock C3's. They are expensive, but I figured you get what you pay for. We'll see?

Installation was a major pain. I told them I had a 71, running a ZZ502 with stock aluminum heads, AC. They said it would be their first (502) but it was "not a problem". Maybe not for them but it was a different story for me. I had the headers in and out of the car 5 times getting them to clear the head bolts. They also made no allowance for the temp guage port. The passenger side header would not clear the AC box and I had to cut and install a blister in the box just to get the header in. (Note: once installed it clears by about 1/4".) Another complaint is accessability to the #3 spark plug. A colapsible (telescoping) socket is the only way to tighten the plug. Last, they do not clear the frame by the same amount on both sides of the car. One side is 1/2" lower than the other.

I hope they learned from all of my complaints and solved the fittment issues.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 12:06 PM
ricketyray
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers? (Rolling Thunder)

Did it end up being the header for raised exhaust ports? Any pics? :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Using Stahl's Side Exhaust Headers?