C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems?

Under GMPP ext warranty a dealer removed and repaired the auto trans in my last fall... October 2002. I just now checked the fluid level after driving. Trans was hot, showing 197 F on the digital speedo readout. w/ car idling and in Park the fluid level is almost one inch, maybe 3/4" above the upper cross hatch zone limit and some foam or I guess you could call it clustered air bubbles are there in the fluid film on the tranny dipstick. Fluid level seems to reach about to the part of the dipstick where the zig zag bend in the dipstick begins.

Fluid appears clean and not burnt.

Is this overfill going to cause problems and if so what might the symptoms be as far as how the tranny operates? Can overfill cause damage?

I'm sort of :mad because you would think that when they refilled the trans ater putting it back together they would put the right amount of fluid in it. I mean, you would think that if the book called for x quarts of fluid w/ filter change then they would just pour in x quarts and it should be in the cross hatch zone when hot, not an inch above it :crazy:

<edit> I am running increased shift firmness with my Hypertech Programmer if that has anything to do with it.

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 4:28 PM 5/24/2003]
Old 05-24-2003, 05:30 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems? (Lone Ranger)

take it out. It may foam which will ruin it.
if you seem any foam at all, do it pronto.

[Modified by larryfs, 2:06 AM 5/25/2003]
Old 05-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems? (larryfs)

How do I get it out? Can I insert a tube into the dipstick channel and siphon some out? If it involves dropping the pan then I'm makin' the damn dealer who overfilled it do it
Old 05-24-2003, 05:46 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems? (larryfs)

take it out. It may foam will will ruin it.
if you seem any foam at all, do it pronto.
:withstupid:

You don't want it to foam up..then it gets frothed into something like butter...very bad
Old 05-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems? (69mako)

take it out. It may foam will will ruin it.
if you seem any foam at all, do it pronto. :withstupid:

You don't want it to foam up..then it gets frothed into something like butter...very bad
I can feel myself gettin pizzed. Damn shop. I've got a siphon thingy I can run down the tube to try and suck some out. Did that once successfully on a 700R or whatever my old '91 Camaro RS (305ci) had in it.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:08 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems? (Lone Ranger)

pop a drain plug in the pan at the same time. makes life easy..
or get a 2003 yukon pan. little deeper and comes with drainplug, although ground clearance may be an issue.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

I used a hand pump and clear plastic tube. Ran tube down dipstick channel and pulled out fluid that way. Made sure to check level several times during process. Trans was at 195 F during procedure, would suck some out, inster dipstick, fire up motor shift into gears, back into park then check level...remove a little more as needed until I got the level under the high limit on the 190 F cross hatch range. Damn fluid is tough to see on the dipstick, guess thats good...means its staying clean.

Anyhow, I pulled out approx. 18 oz of excess fluid :cuss

I'll be watching the tranny fluid level like a hawk for awhile (like after every drive), just in case.

So why would a shop put in that much extra? Was it on accident or on purpose? Gotta wonder.

<edit> capacity shows as 4.5 qts.... kind of looks like they didn't want a half full bottle sitting around so they put a full 5 qts in... :rolleyes:

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 9:35 PM 5/24/2003]
Old 05-25-2003, 04:59 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the most accurate reading hold it in each gear for 3 seconds, including reverse and the take the reading in park.

Get notified of new replies

To 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems?

Quick Reply: 4L60E tranny fluid level is over filled, will this cause problems?