C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 12:41 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth?

Ive got some problems here.

I just got done installing an NX nitrous system and my engine idles very rough, stumbles, misses, has lost low-end TQ, etc. It runs this way whether the nitrous is turned on or off. I should also add the 50 hp shot I added feels like nothing. I dont notice it. The car is slower than it was before nitrous.
I have all the safeguards too (3000-5800 rpm window switch, WOT switch, Digital-6 timing retard, etc.)

My question is...whatare the symptoms/causes of an engine jumping timing (like the timing chain jumped the gear a tooth or so)....

Any ideas? I have a vented optispark that is about 1.5 years old.

I will hook the scan tool up tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:06 AM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
Default Re: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth? (dizwiz24)

i worked with nos alot growing up i used to live in cypress ca home of n.o.s.
it sounds like a vacum leak timing chain jumping a tooth would have a wired effect also but ck the easy stuff first.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 AM
Netnarc2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth? (crash1mac)

I had a timing belt jump on a Pinto and we couldn't get the timing right after that. We ended up having to remove the distributor and re-inserting it. Things just got worse after that. If your timing chain jumped it should show up when you try to time the engine. That's all I can tell ya. Well actually, we re-installed the timing belt one tooth off, but it should be the same effect as if it had jumped.

[Modified by Netnarc2, 6:39 AM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:58 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth? (Netnarc2)

I've seen timing belts jump a tooth, but I have never seen a timing chain on a pushrod motor jump a tooth...hell, I had ~5* of slop in my old chain when I tore down the old motor to rebuild, and nothing had jumped. Though I agree to check the easy stuff first, I would include a compression test in that...if it's a dry nitrous system and you were already running fairly high compression, you may have hurt the bottom end. But, as was mentioned before, check the easy things first.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:00 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Re: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth? (dizwiz24)

THen mine probably didnt do that then (if they ever do).
Old 05-20-2003, 05:56 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

dizwiz. You didn't say what year. I know that it is an LT1 because of the refernce to the OptiSpark. Have you checked for Codes? Don't jump to the "off the wall" stuff until you check the basics. If your Vette is 94 or later.... it could be a MAF problem.
~ Stan
Old 05-20-2003, 06:04 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Look first to whatever you touched during the NOS installation.

A vacuum gauge will tell you if manifold vac is off.

Of course a scan tool will show up what the ECM sees and maybe the problem.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:04 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

Does it back fire on a load or on deceleration?
Old 05-20-2003, 10:53 PM
MyZ51
Advanced

Default Re: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth? (89NYFINESTVETTE)

Usually a timing gear will jump a tooth when engine is shut down. The crank wants to keep turning from reciprocating weight wanting to keep turning, and the camshaft wanting to stop because of the resistance of the valve springs, the cam stops, and crank turns, and the loose chain lets it jump a tooth.

You can check for valve timing with a simple vacuum test, if it's off a tooth, your vacuum will be low by 4 or 5 inches.

Get notified of new replies

To Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth?

Quick Reply: Do these symptoms sound like my timing chain jumped a tooth?