Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Michigan Engine builder

Old 05-04-2003, 02:06 AM
95Purple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Engine builder

Does anyone know of a good engine builder in the SE Michigan area? I have a LT1 that is in need of being made into a 383. I was looking at Nu-tec in Findlay Ohio. Kind of far to go. :confused:
Old 05-04-2003, 02:06 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (95Purple)

Try calling AP Engineering, and see if they do this type of work!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:27 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Agostino Racing is in Toronto, Ontario, about 4 hours from Detroit, but well worth the distance. They have built most of the fastest LS1 and LT1 cars around. They built the 396ci LT1 that is in a 6speed 95z28 running 9.68 on a 10" slick.

Email me if you are interested in any information or pricing from them.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 PM
95Purple
Pro

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (y2k02c5)

Thanks I will look into getting a quote from both of them. It seems the place that I originally had mods done at does not want my business. Went in to talk to them and they gave me the attitude of not wanting to touch my little C4. They have the big dollar spending Mustang guys and now have C5 guys coming in for turbo installs. Pretty bad after spending close to 7k there and now looking to spend near 5k, guess C4 money isn’t green. :cuss
Old 05-05-2003, 04:04 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Which shop was that?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:14 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (CRUZMISL)

I think it was Detroit SpeedWorks.

Old 05-05-2003, 06:26 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

call bruce at aggressive auto also.. he's on groesbeck somewhere around 12mile.. can never remember for sure.. it's on east side of the road next to a motorcycle shop as well..
good man.. done lots of LT1, LS1 and Grand Nationals..

586-771-9122 is his number..

-mikey
Old 05-06-2003, 12:59 AM
95Purple
Pro

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (mikey)

Thanks for the info Im going to call a few places this week and get some quotes.

[Modified by 95Purple, 11:47 PM 5/12/2003]
Old 05-06-2003, 11:43 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Make sure you choose a shop that does all machining, blueprinting and assembly of the engine in house. Not that many shops do that. Most outsource it all and then just install it, and then the blame game gets played back and forth over whose fault it is.

Agostino Racing does all machining, head porting, blueprinting, assembling, installation and tuning in house. Not that many shops can say that!!

As I said in my earlier post, let me know if you want any quotes.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:40 PM
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (MattG)

Make sure you choose a shop that does all machining, blueprinting and assembly of the engine in house. Not that many shops do that. Most outsource it all and then just install it, and then the blame game gets played back and forth over whose fault it is.

Agostino Racing does all machining, head porting, blueprinting, assembling, installation and tuning in house. Not that many shops can say that!!

As I said in my earlier post, let me know if you want any quotes.
:withstupid:

[Modified by CRUZMISL, 4:41 PM 5/7/2003]
Old 05-07-2003, 09:32 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (CRUZMISL)

Can't belive Detroit Speedworks wouldn't want the business, I know they are very busy right now and have alot of backlog. If you got the impression they didn't want your business and are dissapointed, call Phil or Greg and tell them. I have had to wait almost a month and then another two weeks to get my car in for work because of their schedule, however I have learned from experience that when you find someone good it is worth being patient for their services and I have always had nothing but a perfect job done at DSW.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:53 PM
95Purple
Pro

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (VETZILLA)

Phil is who I talked to. I see you said you had work done there but you also have a C5. Guess my point was made :yesnod:

[Modified by 95Purple, 1:56 PM 5/10/2003]
Old 05-10-2003, 11:06 PM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear DSW wouldn't take care of you. There is another shop in Warren called "Wheel to Wheel" ask for Kelly. They did the work on a friend of mines SS Camero, he was really happy with them. I was originally going to have them work on mine before I changed my mind and went the TT way instead of head and cam. Might be worth a call.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:44 AM
95Purple
Pro

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (VETZILLA)

Well Im sure they would just sounded like they were busy and didnt have time. I picked the worst time of the year to start this project. Guess thats what I get for sitting on my butt all winter. I really would like to have had them do it because they know the car. Phil did a great job finding my electrical problem in my door and he really didnt have to look for it because it was not their fault.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:39 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,

C4 has nothing to do with the situation. We gave you a quote last fall, you came into the shop on a saturday in the middle of the zoo. You cant expect me or Greg ( I happened to be alone that day) to drop everying to stop and talk shop, especially when people are lined up in the lobby ahead of you.
As for the quote, you basically said our prices were to high etc, had another person pull the motor out and will have someone else put it back in because they are "cheaper"..oh but you want us to try putting a blower back on maybe ( missing how many pcs?). You didnt want us involved with the engine build because you have a guy that will do it for a "couple of hundred dollars". What type of response can I give to those comments?
I will gladly help you in anyways we can. I can give you our engine builders #, they are one of the top builders around for what you are looking for.

So whats left?
You have the shop #, give me a call if you need anything.

Phil

Old 05-13-2003, 10:29 AM
95Purple
Pro

Default Re: Michigan Engine builder (RoadRebel)

Hey Phil,

Are we going to put our business out here for everyone? If you want we can do that like you just did. I have never said bad things about your place other then the attitude I got on Saturday. And when I did that I never said the name but when someone came up with it I said that “ I was sure you would do the work that you just sounded busy and didn’t have time.”
You say that I cant expect you or Greg to just drop everything to talk shop. Hell ya I can I was not talking shop Phil. I was talking about spending near 5 grand on a motor with you. If I cant ask a few question on the prices then maybe you don’t need my money. I would think after spending near 7 Grand the first time as a possible repeat customer I could get ten minutes of your time. When I was there the office was empty and you just walked away to BS with someone. Maybe I misunderstood your séance of humor but when I said I decided to have you guys do the motor your response was “Don’t do us any favors”

Also if your going to get bent out of shape when someone shops around for a better price then asks you about some of your quotes you should stay in back and work and leave the dealing with customers to Greg. What I said was I was going to have you build the motor save you the hassle putting it in by having the same guy who took it out put it back. Then bring it to you to put the vortech on and tune. You’re oh and how many missing parts don’t fly because nothing is missing.

Marc
Old 05-13-2003, 09:37 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Marc,

That wasnt the read I got at all from our conversation at all. And I certainly dont have an issue with you questioning the quote or prices. I also stated I had no idea what the details were without having it in front of me. I swear you flat out made the statement that someone in ohio was going to do the motor and someone else was putting it in etc..I just stated I had no interest in trying to put a 383 stroker together correctly for a "couple of hundred bucks".

I will gladly help you out in anyway, and I also know if had not had people in the lobby when you were there or I would spent additional time with you (nothing else to do). I did make it out in back quick enough to see you leaving.

If we can get past what appears to be a misunderstanding, Feel free to call Greg or I if you wish and we can go through the quote line by line. Besides, I enjoy a Mopar guy turned ot the darkside :chevy !

Phil

[Modified by RoadRebel, 2:50 AM 5/14/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Michigan Engine builder

Old 05-14-2003, 01:32 AM
95Purple
Pro

Besides, I enjoy a Mopar guy turned ot the darkside :chevy !

Phil

Hey Phil with that said I should never come back. What a slap in the face. Just because I get a paycheck from DCX DOES NOT MEAN IM A MOPAR GUY. The only reason I drive a jeep and not the generals trucks is because Im lazy and dont want to park in a far lot and walk 300 yards to the door at work. You would not believe how many times they said they were going to tow the vett from the lot. The only thing I have is Mopar money fundng my Corvette. Could be worst it could be Dutch Marks.

We can write that day off as both misunderstanding each other.

[Modified by RoadRebel, 2:50 AM 5/14/2003]
:boxing :boxing
Old 05-14-2003, 08:29 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

You kidding ME!!!
They still make non DCX cars park in the back? I thought they gave that up with Lee Iacoca leaving?
I did hear from Tony that they are doing the GM trick and not allowing DCX employees to get discount on the popular cars as to get full retail at dealers to make more $$$.

BTW, I am waiting on Bill Megee from TFS for the info, but its really not needed as it takes 1/2h to check the specs.

Phil
Old 05-14-2003, 11:19 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Marc,

I have the info on the TFS heads.. Need to peek at your valve springs to see if they are a single or double spring. If they are singles they will definately get tossed in the trash.

Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michigan Engine builder