C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping out of third gear in my '69

Old 04-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping out of third gear in my '69

My car frequently pops out of third gear as I slow down to approach a stop light/sign. Is it likely a problem with the gear shift linkage, or is this a problem with the transmission? Is this fairly easy to rectify, or do I need to take it to a pro mechanic? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Perfomer
Instructor

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Tele_Man)

I had the same problem with my 69 B/B except with 4th gear. Ihad the trans rebuilt and all new bearings be sure to have the end play as tight as possible . If you can hold it in gear without alot of pressure its nothing a bearing kit won`t solve . My cost was 300.00 dollars . I pulled it out and carried it to the trans man. I wouldn`t think the linkage would cause this prolem unless the bushing were worn out Good Luck
Old 04-29-2003, 10:37 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

i had the same symptoms,took the gearbox to a mechanic.parts $380 and labor $300.it is a bit expensive but now i know it will last for a few years
Old 04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like it isn't going all the way into gear. How is your clutch? If you have to press down hard to get the clutch to engage then it may be you need a new clutch disk, or throw-out bearing, or just an adjustment. There's also an adjustment for the linkage...just make the 3/4 gear linkage rod shorter.

These can easily be done by yourself with a pair of needle nose pliers for the clips and a couple of open end wrenches. There could be something wrong on the inside of the tranny, but try to fix it with adjustments first, before spending lots of money. I just got through fixing my tranny that was popping out of 4th by replacing the throw-out bearing (and a few more unrelated things). I've rebuilt it completely by myself too, so keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:52 PM
Red69
Racer

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Rockn-Roll)

I noticed the same problem with my BB 69 ocasionally.... but it seam to be more pronounced when I'm going faster... more strain on the gearing..

How hard is it drop the 4 speed... I was looking at it the other day... once the shaft is out of the way, just four more bolts...??? does it slide right out??

:flag
Old 04-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Red69)

Make sure that the shifter lever isn't hitting the console opening, The come very close in 1st and 3rd. Now if that is ok and the linkage is adjusted and it still pops out of a gear, the problem is part of the synchronizer assembly called the blocker ring. The blocker ring keeps the trans in gear,when the get worn thats what happens... Pops out of gear when you let off the gas. It happens ocassionally at first and gets worse until you cannot even hold it in gear.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (bluevetteman)

Thanks for the advice! The mechanic who has done a lot of work on my car the past few months said that it might be the synchronizer. I wanted to check with you guys in this forum. It seems like a minor issue that I can live with over the summer. I can easily hold the shift lever in third gear with a little pressure. I'll save up my cash and have it repaired over next winter. Perhaps I'll also replace the clutch.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (bluevetteman)

Make sure that the shifter lever isn't hitting the console opening, The come very close in 1st and 3rd. Now if that is ok and the linkage is adjusted and it still pops out of a gear, the problem is part of the synchronizer assembly called the blocker ring. The blocker ring keeps the trans in gear,when the get worn thats what happens... Pops out of gear when you let off the gas. It happens ocassionally at first and gets worse until you cannot even hold it in gear.
Had that problem, it was leaving an indent in the plate so I switched the shift rods to the short throw position and no more popping out of gear or hitting the plate.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Ki m Le
Burning Brakes

As mentioned above, try to adjust the shifter linkages first. Safe yourself big $$$ to rebuild the tran by yourself. It very easy to do. Took me 2-3 hours to dis-assembled and re-assemble the tran with all new parts!

Perfomer, java0881, did the tran man say what went wrong with your trans, before they fixed it? Just curious.

The complete rebuild kit only cost around $200.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Ki m Le)

I just rebuilt my own Muncie and I bought the video. According to the video, popping out of gear may indicate worn shift fork and sliders.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:42 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (BB68Vett)

The video and wrench is for sale over in C3 parts in case anyone needs them. NO, I'm not the seller and I don't even know him- it's just a good deal. :yesnod:
Gary
Old 04-30-2003, 10:48 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (gtr1999)

It's not me either.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:03 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Ki m Le)

ki m le
he replaced 3rd gear,27t $128,3-4 sync.brass w.ring $135 and gaskets and some other stuff(its hard to decipher the receipt).total for parts was $369
but it definitely cured the problem,also there is no more chatter from the shifter at higher speeds.
i replaced the clutch at the same time with a brand new borg warner unit. :steering:

[Modified by java0881, 5:07 PM 4/30/2003]
Old 04-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be linkage (check it first), but most likely it's the 3-4 syncro and fork. Very common in all types of standard transmissions, and only an overhaul will fix it. Sorry...

Hans
Old 04-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Tele_Man
Pro

Default Re: Popping out of third gear in my '69 (Wrencher)

I will check the shift linkage first, as many of you have suggested. Will I notice anything unusual with the 3rd-4th shift rod from just visual inspection? How will I know that it needs to be adjusted? The instructions in the Chevy Service Manual mention something called a "locating gauge". What is this gauge? Where can I get one? Thanks for all your help - everybody!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Perfomer
Instructor

My trouble was worn out bearings and to much end play in the input shaft . new bearings and a .20 shim to move the input shaft futher back toward 4th gear fixed the problem. I tested it by letting on and off the gas very Quickly doing around 70mph . The locating is used to put the shifter in nutral so you can adjust the rods. You can make one yourself. Look on the shifter and you will see the slot to align the shifter. total cost to fix mine was 300.00 and 2hrs R/R for me . I have a lift so the job is easier than laying the ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Popping out of third gear in my '69

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping out of third gear in my '69