C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Heater Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 03:56 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1981 Heater Hoses

Temps are dropping into the 30s and 40s in the mornings so it's time to fix the heater. Last spring I pulled off the elbow bends off the heater core connections under the pass side. These hoses looked like they were the originals, cracked and brittle. Also noted that the two hoses were different sizes.

Called the dealer this morning and was told they don't carry them anymore. The bend in these look really tight and I'm wondering if I can just use regular heater hose or do I need the preformed item?

Any idea where to buy the preformed items?

And finally, what are the two sizes of the hoses?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2001, 04:08 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1981 Heater Hoses (dsagers)

When I did mine a few years ago, I believe I ordered a set through Zip or Mid-America. Kinda pricey, about $65 a set now. I'd worry that they would kink up on me if I just used the bulk straight hose.

Sorry, I don't recall them being different sizes - I thought they were all 5/8".

Good luck! :seeya
Old 10-10-2001, 04:37 PM
weendoggy
Racer

You can buy these hoses at Napa or any other major parts house. I'm not sure about a PepBoys or Kragen. They are 3/4" and 5/8" hoses. You can get them with a pre-bent end which is about 4 - 6 inches (depending on what you want) with the long straight piece up to 30" or better. Just cut what you need and you're done. Cost should be under $25. :flag
Old 10-10-2001, 04:46 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weendoggy nailed it. I got mine @ Advanced Auto, but believe the cost was more like $40, can't remember for sure, since that was 3 1/2 years ago, and I have my receipts at home in my very thick, three ring corvette binder.

Would be really hard to use hoses without the factory 90 degree bend in the hose in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:02 PM
Torcher
Racer

You can get the set right now thru ZIP ... 27.00 for the set with the formed elbows and are considered replacements, OR also thru ZIP... A set of formed with the GM logo on them for 38.00. This is the cheapest you will find them anywhere at the moment. They are 5/8 and 3/4. :smash:
Old 10-10-2001, 05:20 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 1981 Heater Hoses (john's '81 mouse)

The clamps on my heater hoses are so far up into the heater core box that I had doubts about being able to get to them. Did any of you guys have trouble getting to yours? Any tips / tricks?
Old 10-11-2001, 06:44 AM
Torcher
Racer

Default Re: 1981 Heater Hoses (MIKER)

I never had that prob.. someone must have placed them higher than needed... What I would do is take a razor and cut the hose as close to the clamps as possible and very gently try to work some or all of the hose out from under the clamp being VERY careful not to collapse the tubing on the heater core. You will have to be very patient and take your time... but if you can not get to the clamp????? If you have a small box end wrench, you should be able to loosen it that way also if there is enuf room?? Just a couple of ideas... :cool:
Old 10-11-2001, 08:20 PM
dsagers
Pro

Default Re: 1981 Heater Hoses (Torcher)

Stopped by NAPA last night on the way home with a pic from the Assembly Manual and looked thru the Gates catalog. Found two hoses that looked right, had to order them, and will see if they fit this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Heater Hoses

Quick Reply: 1981 Heater Hoses