C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Art & Scott - I owe you a beer...

Old 10-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art & Scott - I owe you a beer...

Well guys - I gotta hand it to you both! The primary fuel pump was it!

I called NAPA this morning and the local place (6 mi away) had the pump in stock.

I pulled the whole thing out of the tank, replaced the pump, and put it back together in less then an hour.

Of course - I took some short laps around the block just to be sure - But then ventured out onto the interstate - Viola! It's fixed.

Now for the interesting part...

Art - It was not in your head - My car feels like it picked up 30 hp before the secondaries open - MUCH more power down low. But in my case, it seems stronger on top as well - I'm wondering if the primary pump was causing a fuel shortage up top?

Anyway - the car runs like a scalded assed dog, and is running better then it ever has as long as I've owned it.

I'm just glad the pump didn't give out while I was far from home - That would've sucked!

Again - Thanks guys!!!

>>>EDIT - Talk about a turnaround time on the repair huh? It broke last night, I started working this morning, and I'm done - Gotta love the simple things!!! <<<

[Modified by Avi, 12:28 PM 10/3/2001]
Old 10-03-2001, 02:29 PM
Avi
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Art & Scott - I owe you a beer... (Avi)

By the way - In case anyone is interested...

I used the part number that Scott had posted - I did this because I knew for a fact that it had been used (by Art) and that it was right. I guess I'll never know about the NAPA part number for the ZR-1 fuel pump.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:12 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Avi,

What was the NAPA part number of the pump that you ended up using?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-03-2001, 10:23 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: Art & Scott - I owe you a beer... (RedZR)

AVI, uou're in Alabama? I'll be ther one day to get my beer.

Dan, here it is, from our other post..

I used the first one (#NFPP74037, just checked my invoice) and have been just fine... I didn't know a seperate part was listed for the ZR1, though I did hear rumors of different sourcing (one with the carter name, the first one). I would think you are safe either way, and this is an example of a non physical reason for a different part #.

I can add that the one I got fit the holder (like a little "cup) perfectly, and the filter (bought sererately) was the same size and shape, but a different color as the old one. But the big news is the electrical connector was right on the money. Oh.... In addition, the outlet and hose clamp was the correct size.

But that doesn't guarantee the innards are the same (but I bet they are), but the car has been flawless.

By the way, I am a little proud of my quick diagnosis of the problem. I didn't know there was advice on the fix on the web, but even so the diagnosis is very perplexing. Then in reading the "''theory" section of the engine service manual, it mentions in one simple, obscure statement that the second pump was for cold running and full power running. I already knew about the full power, but the cold running part was like a light bulb going off. I was so happy, because this was one of those examples where I didn't tear half the car apart to find the problem. But believe it or not, it's not in the trouble shooting section!

Though you have raised my curiosity, I'll admit, I think either is fine.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:26 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: Art & Scott - I owe you a beer... (ZR1991)

AVI,

I have also noticed the top end improvement. I have been a bit hesitant to say it, cause you know the psychology of these things. But mine has been some weeks now, and others have commented as well about mine.

Regards,
Old 10-11-2001, 08:21 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Avi,
I wouldnt mind a couple beers myself. :D :cheers: :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Art & Scott - I owe you a beer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Art & Scott - I owe you a beer...