C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and tires on a 77

Old 09-14-2001, 12:24 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and tires on a 77

I'm looking for advice on the largest wheel/tire combinations for a 1977 corvette. Please included any mods necessary. Ideally, I'm looking to do as little mod work as possible.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 09-14-2001, 01:38 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Wheel and tires on a 77 (love to drive)

I just put a set of 305 x 50 x 15s on my 75 but it took modified trailing arms, removal of the parking brake bracket and 5 inch offset rims.
Norval
Old 09-14-2001, 01:52 PM
love to drive
Instructor

Default Re: Wheel and tires on a 77 (norvalwilhelm)

Thanks for the reply Norval...THOSE ARE BEEFY TIRES! I could imagine those would require some mods. Am I right in guessing that those are only in the rear? I can't imagine having 305s all around. How wide are your rims? And how far do they stick out of the wheel wells?

Thanks Again,

Ted
Old 09-14-2001, 03:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 265 x 50 x 15 s on the front. My rims are 8.5 inch centerline drag lights. No modification to the front. MY tires do not stick out. I had to trim the inner lip on the fenderwheel down to about 1/2 it's original thickness but the tire fits inside the fenderwheel. The frame in a few places lightly touches but the frame is polished in these areas and no damage to the side walls. The spring also need to be shortened. It was alot of fiddling but worth it. The rim I had in the last post is one I machined myself for the mustang whick will have 315 x 17 inch on the back under the fender well. Since it is metal I will tub it slightly in spots if necessary.
This is the vet 2 years ago when I run nitrous. It is now blown.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:00 PM
love to drive
Instructor

That sounds great...and looks great. 265s would be a 1.6" improvement on the footprint for each wheel and 50s would lower the car 2". That's what I'm lookin' for...the only problem is finding rims that I like...I'm really used to the stock look. I'm glad the mods are minimal! Thanks for all of your help Norval

Ted

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel and tires on a 77

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel and tires on a 77