Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger

Old 08-24-2001, 02:05 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger

Has anyone had any problems with the quality of work on their clock, radio or dash instruments sent to Corvette clocks by Roger? I have had a hell of a time with this company. I sent my 63 Radio, clock, tach, speedometer, and temp gauge to them for restoration. The price was $1,020. That was bad enough by itself but the quality of the work was way below par and on some of the parts it was shoddy. Roger offered to take the items back and make them right but I will not send them back to a company that has a quality control problem like this. I have requested two times without success an invoice stating what was done and parts used in the repair of my items. What is a guy to do?

[Modified by BILLY 63 swc, 6:31 PM 8/24/2001]
Old 08-24-2001, 09:20 AM
ronets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (BILLY 63 swc)

Is this Roger Scott from Corvette Instruments??

Ron
Old 08-24-2001, 11:00 AM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I had some problems with them lately, too. Last winter I sent them my cluster for refinishing of the gauges, clock, and dash face. I called before shipping to ask what their time frame was as I didn't want to tie up the car for months with the cluster out, Roger said the shop was not jammed and to expect a 5 day turnaround. I shipped the cluster packing a detailed description of what I wanted done on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, along with my business card stapled to the inside of the box. After 2+ weeks went by without a phone call from them, I called to ask how things were going. I spoke with a lady who answered to tell me there were NO '63 CLUSTERS IN THEIR SHOP! I'm now assuming UPS lost the box and am frantically searching for shipping records. Two days later she calls to tell me it WAS delivered, but no instructions were inside. I told her I know the instructions were there as I packed it myself, she replied that she unpacked it without the instructions. Bullcranberry juice! :bs I explained what I wanted done and they promised a shipping date. A week after that date, I called to find it still wasn't done yet. I did finally receive it 6+ weeks after I should have, but missing the NOS wiper switch I had recently paid big money for which was in the cluster when shipped. I called Roger this time and he said he'd send me the switch to recieve an old grimey switch instead of my NOS one. I dropped the matter at that point as I was tired of dealing with them.

The quality by my standards was excellent, but by NCRS standards very minor differences are present. I did receive an invoice with parts listed on it and operations explained, and the price was reasonable. My big beef is in the supposed "management" of the company- losing my cluster almost gave me a heart attack and the time promised was not even close to the date shipped. The time delay was inconvenient but luckily it did not interfere with car shows and stuff I had planned.

I hope the power of the Internet helps us here- I wonder if Roger or one of his help watches this forum?

Now if I could only get the Bozo out west to finish my seatbelts which he's had for 6 months, but that's another story.......
Old 08-24-2001, 11:04 AM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (BAmacker)

Bullcranberry juice? That's not what I typed! There must be something wrong with my keyboard...... :D
Old 08-24-2001, 11:09 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (BAmacker)

I got an estimate from him on some stuff and just said to myself "Forget it" , way way to high priced I though. As to NCRS Standards might be he is playing that game. Charge up the wazoo to meet their nutty standards then deliver adequate only work.

Here I go again about NCRS. I just wont play that game and pay the prices for parts and services. Sorry to see you feel like you got screwed. This hobby is running outta control as the "standards' and the costs go ever higher and higher. Think I will go home tonight and take some numbers matching part (if I can find one) off my car and replace it with something from Pep Boys. Allways makes me feel good when I do that.

Good luck on the rest of your restoration and guage work
Old 08-24-2001, 01:06 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (TheOman)

oman i love your post about taking stuff and replacing it with pep boys. that was great. the whole point of owning this car is to be able to work on it, have easy access to cheap and decent parts fast. that's the fun for the shade tree types like me. all of the numbers guys have a point if that's what they want, but it sounds like too much money and trouble to me. :cool:
Old 08-24-2001, 01:45 PM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (ronets)

Ron
I dont know if the Roger with Corvette clocks by Roger is the same as the Roger with Corvette Instruments, the company I am posting about is located in Jackson TN.
Billy
Old 08-24-2001, 03:17 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Corvette Instruments is located in florida, the guys name is Roger. I sent him my clock (67 coupe) in January for repair and restoration. I was very happy with results, he explained clearly everything he does, quick turnaround time, excellent quality of work, and fair price.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:17 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Jerry Clark sent his instruments in and said they ruined them. when he called to complain, he was told "you didn't tell us it was going on a judjed car". Like they only do good quality work on judged cars!!! It took me forever to get my clock back for my 60. John :U :smash:
Old 08-25-2001, 02:05 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (John McGraw)

I appreciate these type of posts. I make a list of where not to do business, some of this stuff is not easily replaced and may nerver really fit right when it is replaced. A friend of mine sent his cluster out to a place in Washington and they never recieved it and he only insured it for $800.00 He's :U now
Old 08-25-2001, 03:14 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....i am constantly amazed at the crap that many "restoration" outfits pull when dealing with the public.......i'll make a promise to anyone who is within driving distance of southern new jersey....come take a look at my two cars' dashes and i will restore yours to the same level of quality...i'm not in this to make money but to prove a point (within reason).......this stuff is EASY is you're CAREFUL and have some confidence...send me mail if you want to talk
:bs
Old 08-25-2001, 03:25 PM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

You are right about making a list of companys NOT to do business with, I have a few and the list is getting longer as I read the posts here on the forum about the workmanship and high prices by some of the vendors us Corvette owners deal with. Below is a summery of the the faults found on the restoration of my items sent to Corvette clocks by Roger. I am POed at best.
Clock, date repaired 7/1/01 by Buyon (cant read it good)
1. Alum center was not cleaned or polished. Has a stain.
2. Set **** stem is rusted bad.

Radio, date repaired 7/1/01 by Roger.
1. Tubes were never removed or contacts cleaned. still covered
with dust and oil.
2. Tuner is hard to turn and slips at times.
3. Oil on outside of radio and inside the face plate. Inside of the radio the original
labels are covered with oil and are coming loose because of the oil. The plastic bag the
radio was in had oil running down the inside of the bag.
4. Outside of radio was still dirty and rusted.

Tach, Repaired 7/1/01 by Mark.
1. Stiff and hard to turn by hand. Should turn as easy as
speedometer.
2. One (1) washer missing on face mount to alum drive body.
3. Face and alum center not polished.
4. Red line paint, one of the 100 RPM marks is almost painted
over. Orange and red paint is of different widths.
5. Back of face plate is still soiled. (not cleaned)

Speedometer, repaired 7/1/01 by Mark.
1. Face plate and alum center not cleaned or polished. Orange paint on alum center section.
The temp gauge was done just fine.
All this and was charged $1,020 after waiting 10 weeks to get them back. No more work will be done for me by this company.
Billy
Old 08-26-2001, 02:06 AM
Big Block 60
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D+M Restoration in Greenville,S.C. restored my gauges and did some special request for me for Under $600.00. They did excellant work and turn around was about 3 weeks. I highly recommend them. Those gauges were so purty, I just wanted to lok at them. :D Their number is 800-722-0854

[Modified by Big Block 60, 12:08 AM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-26-2001, 08:47 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

It is good to know who not to deal with. I am sorry for all of your problems with vendors. They should be run out of buisness. Maybe with a little help from your friends, not doing buisness with them, they will go out of buisness.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:21 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (Tom/99)

It's interesting that this vendor's name came up. I was by the booth at Carlisle. I was looking for an ammeter (battery) gauge for a '66 - very difficult to find.... LICS - No ....Zip Products - No....Corvette Central - may have one or two (used & rebuilt) in stock - they have to let me know on Tuesday - I placed a tentative order. Clocks by Roger had many of them in their display case. I was wondering how the heck this is possible when everyone else has such difficulty. :confused: price was fair...
Old 08-27-2001, 11:27 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (RichF)

Wonder if this guy is rippin off what is sent thru tthe mail and reselling at the shows Huh? Well nothing would surprise me in this hobby. as long as people are willing to support that kind of action people will do it. Not saying Roger is a Jolly Roger but who knows???????
Old 08-28-2001, 02:26 AM
poortom
Instructor

Good to see someone vent on these ripoffs...but how about some posts on great work great price/turnaround..I don't mind anybody making an honest living but buying them a bloomington C2 for crappy work :conehead :conehead Who are some of the goodguys??
Ride with the wind...Poortom 66 427/425(my other car is a gas tanker

Get notified of new replies

To Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger

Old 08-28-2001, 05:20 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was pleased with the work by Corvette Specialties of Maryland for my tach and wiper motor. They weren't cheap, but timeline and quality were as advertised. I also had my speedometer done by a local shop, North Hollywood Speedometer. Work was excellent. When I expressed concern about whether they knew anything about Corvette gauges, the guy pulls out a beautiful black instrument cluster from a '59 he had just finished. Just a reminder not to overlook the local guys.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:54 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (58Mike)

"You did not tell us they were going on a judged car" WTF!!!!!! Just EXACTLY what makes me nuts about this relentless upward pressure on standards. These cars were more or less crude when they were new!!!!! Come on guys overspray here and there and God knows what else????

I saw something on My Classic Car a few years ago about a 435 HP 67 Coupe. They had intentionally sprayed the lower doors with dull overspray because some of the original cars had rotten quality paint on the lower door area. How dumb can this stuff get????

The story on the car was titled something like "The Most Perfect Restoration of a 67 Coupe On the Face of the Earth" or some such nonsense. Mr Handlebar was "Oh wow golly gosh gee golly gosh look at the fact that the paint was intentionally done poorly just like the original cars" WTF????

STUPID. The more we support this nonsense the more these "craftsmen" will keep rippin us off and charging like there is no tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:40 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Default Re: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger (TheOman)

Oman.

U still Da Man! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Just lots of :bs
Jeff
'66. L72
"The Silver More Incorrect Beast" as each week passes.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shoddy work by Corvette clocks by Roger