C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?

Old 08-21-2001, 10:02 AM
Ted J
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?

I'm currently using Mobil 1 in my car and was wondering if there was a better Synthetic motor oil that I could be using that is about the same price as Mobil 1? Is Mobil 1 a good Synthetic motor oil to be using? Thought I'd ask to see what you guys thought.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I was figuring that since my LT1 is similar to the one they put in the Vette you guys would be able to steer me in the right direction on this one.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:23 AM
95DropTop
Pro

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (Ted J)

Well, I have only had my Vette for around a month and already had my first Mobil 1 change. I have used it in all my other cars and so far have not found anything to beat it so I don't see why an LT1 would be any different. :chevy
Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 AM
C4RAG
Instructor

I use Mobil 1 and find it better than Castrol (used in my truck)... I think that since they use it from the factory, it is best to stay with it so even if there were something better, Mobil 1 it the place to be... Most importantly, if any are kept under 3000 miles, it should eliminate wear so no matter which you chose, none can do better than that... I did an engine over at a race shop last year and was advised not to use Mobil 1 for at least 2000 miles because if I did, the engine would not "wear in" as it must... That is a powerful statement if you ask me and since it is all I will use in my vette...
Old 08-21-2001, 10:26 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,178 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Mobil 1 is the best to use. You can find cheaper synthetics, but nobody makes a "better" synthetic.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:47 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The best Synthetic oil money can buy is Red-Line oil. If you like to learn more on this oil you can check thier site.
http://www.redlineoil.com/
Old 08-21-2001, 03:15 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a better oil than Mobil 1. I just know that Mobil 1 is VERY good. Check out this thread and see what I mean.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=136453
Old 08-21-2001, 03:31 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (Nathan Plemons)

Mobil 1 is the best bang for the buck. Doug Rippie Motorsports told me they see high mileage engines with virtually no wear after using Mobil 1.

Cameron
Old 08-21-2001, 08:46 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (SPEEDEMON)

I too like Redline, it has a different base. There have been a number of heated discussions on this However, I found that I really don't beat on my car that hard and that Redline may be overkill so I now run Mobil-1 in it. A lot of guys on Vettenet have run Mobil-1 to very hot temps racing and found blue rockers afterwards. Redline takes the high temps much better. In reality, on the street you should never see those temps unless you have a severe problem.

I also run the Mobil-1 in some of my other cars, my wife's Pontiac since new. The top of the head is immaculate. I guess the question you need to ask yourself, is if you need an oil that is superior to Mobil-1 and why. If you need it for racing and extended high temp running, then I would consider Redline at a higher cost. If you don't have a definite need, then Mobil-1 is an excellent oil that can be bougth at a reasonable price if you watch places like Wal Mart to have a sale. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:17 PM
Ted J
Racer

The best Synthetic oil money can buy is Red-Line oil. If you like to learn more on this oil you can check thier site.
http://www.redlineoil.com/
Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm currently using Redline in my rear end and tranny and have been happy with it's results thus far.

I'm going to be 1/4 racing my car in a bit here and I'll probably put down 2 or 3 passes and I wanted to know if there was a better oil to use overall than that of Mobil 1, like Valvoline or something like that. Guess I can just stick with Mobil 1 for now.

I've heard stuff about how redline doesn't have as many detergents in it compared to that of Mobil 1 so it would be better fit for racing type applications rather than that of street applications but I don't know for sure on that one. I know later on when I build up some high HP motors for any of the cars I want I'll probably run Redline, Amsoil, or Royal Purple in it, just don't know which one yet.

Thanks again guys for the information!
Old 08-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Kevin McGrade
Le Mans Master

Mobil 1
Old 08-21-2001, 11:04 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should calculate how many people DON'T recommend Mobil 1, it would be easier :D

BTW, I say Mobil 1. NOT what ever the previous owner used in mine.. :(
Old 08-21-2001, 11:07 PM
KDuniverse
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (Glock'94)

Amsoil :D
Old 08-21-2001, 11:31 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I use mobil 1 in the Suburban (7.4l tower) STS Cad. and the ZR 1 and have been uiing Mobil 1 for quite a few year's on ALL my vehicle's. There have been quite a few. Including race car's. Not to say that Amsoil isn't # 1 and Redline isn't # 2. I just prefer the Mobil 1. The use of a synthetic media oil filter is VERY worthwhile also ( Mobil 1 or Duraguard gold) keeep's the oil cleaner longer.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:03 AM
ChrisB
Pro

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (FrankUrbinati)

Mobil 1 is definitly good stuff. I would say pick something out of the following list and you will be okay

1) Mobil 1
2) Lubrication Engineers
3) Torco
4) Neo
5) Royal Purple
6) Redline

I wouldn't have any problem using any of those oils. Honestly on a street drive 3000 mile change schedule they are probably overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 08-22-2001, 12:06 AM
KDuniverse
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1? (KDuniverse)

Amsoil :D
Old 08-22-2001, 12:15 AM
bigdan
Drifting

have used valvoline synth. in our cherokee since 3k miles, now @ 130k & still runs like new w/ no oil usage between changes. used valvoline synth in a wrangler i sold last year w/ no problems, but it only had 70k when i sold it. the vette came from chevy w/ mobile 1, so thats what i use in it. i think most name brand oils are probably ok to use as long as you use the correct viscosity & change regularly. oh, i also use a synth blend in my honda valkyrie motorcycle. interesting because on a bike the clutch & tranny share the oil w/ the motor. after break in & switch to synth the bike tranny was noticably quieter & clutch action is smoother.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:54 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Ted

Synthesized Hydrocarbons like Mobil 1 and all the rest, Pennzoil, Syntec and etc, etc. Are just that, attempts by the Oil companies to synthetically improve PAO based stock to make it act like and perform up to the standard of modern Ester based lubricants. They have a tremendous amount of oil to sell.

Obviously they are all good lubricants, certainly far better than in their original non-synthesized state. Ester based lubricants are very difficult to compare with PAO lubricants. They do provide two things in their basic form that PAO's do not. Less friction and better high temperature performance.

At last count three F-1 teams were using Redline lubricants including Honda. Virtually all IRL teams were using Redline and most front running NASCAR teams were using Redline products. Mobil, Quaker State, Shell, Pennzoil, Valvoline all financially sponsor and support many race teams and cars etc. That doesn't mean that they use their oil in their engines. Even Mobil 1 backed GM Motorsports had to switch to Redline in order to achieve reliability. Synthesized hydrocarbon lubricants are less expensive than ester based lubricants but they are in a different category that is difficult to compare.

Turbo Jet engines today virtually run forever with no mandatory time between overhaul. Thanks to one major factor. Ester based lubricants.

Also Red-Line is so durable it has superior long-drain capabilities and recommends oil changes in a normally functioning gas engine between 10,000-18,000 miles or once a year, much longer than your other oils, which can save you some money on frequent oil changes.

I use all Red-Line fluids in the ZR-1 engine, trans, and rear end. How can I cannot afford not to use Red-Line in a LT-5 since these engine are no longer available which I have to keep it in the best shape available. I have to use the best oil money can buy so you understand my situation on using Red-Line.

Remember the header on your thread does read (Best Synthetic motor oil) not what is the best bang for the buck. As they say you get what you pay for. If you want the best you must pay for it. Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?

Old 08-22-2001, 01:05 AM
miker61588
Pro

mobil 1 :cheers:
Old 08-22-2001, 10:25 PM
Ted J
Racer

Ted

Synthesized Hydrocarbons like Mobil 1 and all the rest, Pennzoil, Syntec and etc, etc. Are just that, attempts by the Oil companies to synthetically improve PAO based stock to make it act like and perform up to the standard of modern Ester based lubricants. They have a tremendous amount of oil to sell.

Obviously they are all good lubricants, certainly far better than in their original non-synthesized state. Ester based lubricants are very difficult to compare with PAO lubricants. They do provide two things in their basic form that PAO's do not. Less friction and better high temperature performance.

At last count three F-1 teams were using Redline lubricants including Honda. Virtually all IRL teams were using Redline and most front running NASCAR teams were using Redline products. Mobil, Quaker State, Shell, Pennzoil, Valvoline all financially sponsor and support many race teams and cars etc. That doesn't mean that they use their oil in their engines. Even Mobil 1 backed GM Motorsports had to switch to Redline in order to achieve reliability. Synthesized hydrocarbon lubricants are less expensive than ester based lubricants but they are in a different category that is difficult to compare.

Turbo Jet engines today virtually run forever with no mandatory time between overhaul. Thanks to one major factor. Ester based lubricants.

Also Red-Line is so durable it has superior long-drain capabilities and recommends oil changes in a normally functioning gas engine between 10,000-18,000 miles or once a year, much longer than your other oils, which can save you some money on frequent oil changes.

I use all Red-Line fluids in the ZR-1 engine, trans, and rear end. How can I cannot afford not to use Red-Line in a LT-5 since these engine are no longer available which I have to keep it in the best shape available. I have to use the best oil money can buy so you understand my situation on using Red-Line.

Remember the header on your thread does read (Best Synthetic motor oil) not what is the best bang for the buck. As they say you get what you pay for. If you want the best you must pay for it. Good Luck!
I would like to start off by thanking everybody for responding.

Art, thanks for the informative write up. Honestly I am as of now looking for the best bang for the buck when it comes to the best motor oil to use but the reason I didn't put that in the header is because I also wanted to know which motor oil would be best to use overall not including price. So I guess you coudl say I was asking two questions in one but I wasn't being specific about it. Again, thank you for the information!

I would like to ask though, on the redline motor oil is it really safe to go 10,000 to 18,000 miles between oil changes? Would a good synthentic oil filter help out with this? I would run redline motor oil and go 8,000 to 10,000 miles if I knew that it was safe to do so any feedback and suggestions here would be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks in advance!

Ted
Old 08-23-2001, 12:13 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Before I thought the same thing you did on the price per quart. Then my friend insisted since it was a ZR-1 why would I not spend the money and get better protection and also get away with a few less oil changes. He said to me with fewer oil changes I will be making up for the difference in price for the oil.

What shortens the life of the oil is heat; if the oil can with stand the heat then it will retain the ability to protect and last longer. If an oil that doesn’t break down as easily, then you don’t need to change as often because it would still retain the ability to protect have the longer protection capabilities.

Red-Line Says:

<Because of the robust polyester base stock and high-performance anticorrosive additive package in Red Line oils, they are ideal for use in street-driven vehicles at extended drain intervals. Red Line recommends oil changes for engines that are in good condition and do not see frequent starts without warm-ups or short-trips at between 10,000 and 18,000 miles for gasoline engines>

Click on this link here and it will tell you what you need to know on Red-Line.
http://www.redlineoil.com/whyredline.htm

Good Luck and I'll chat with you later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Synthetic motor oil to use on a LT1?