C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light on-82 vette

Old 08-10-2001, 04:55 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default check engine light on-82 vette

I have a daily driver '82 ce.Today the check engine light came on during city driving.I headed for home and made it.I stopped the engine,then restarted,but the light did not come on again.In your opinion was this just a fluke,or am I getting ready to have serious problems?If a problem is starting,where should I start looking? thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:00 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (tankman)

Your car is computer controlled isn't it? Sometimes a temporary "blip" or condition will cause the check engine light to come on. I believe turning the car off and on re-sets the switch. I wouldn't worry about it unless it comes back on. Then I'd hook into the computer and find out what code it's throwing off.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:20 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (79MakoL82)

Thank you for the response,I'll try not to worry,and yes it is computer controlled.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Worry!!! Read out the codes. Go to http://www.crossfire.homeip.net and look in the tech articles on how to rad out the codes.

Marck
Old 08-10-2001, 05:26 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Any shop would have a code identifyer that they could hook into the car and tell you what it is or you can buy them at your local auto parts store. Then you just need to find out what the code number means. But again, unless it comes back on again, I wouldn't worry. Your engine could have gone temporarily lean for some reason and the sensor threw out a code. It happens.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:33 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (Twinnie)

Worry!!! Read out the codes. Go to http://www.crossfire.homeip.net and look in the tech articles on how to rad out the codes.

Marck
If he's turned off the car, and it re-sets and the light is no longer on, how is he going to get the code? I don't have a computer controlled car now, but I've had this happen to me in the past. Pooped my pants and drove straight into the nearest shop (happened to be a guy I knew and trusted that had worked on some of my other cars before). It was due to a temporary lean condition. They re-set the computer, the light went off and they told me "bring it in if it comes back on". Never went back, because it never came on again.

Worry as much as you want, but I wouldn't unless it came back on. THEN, I would definately get it checked out.

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 3:36 PM 8/10/2001]
Old 08-10-2001, 05:51 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (79MakoL82)

I mean ground the ALDL and read the codes from the check engine light. You'll see if it's a lean/rich temporary condition (leabn/rich code that never triggers again), if it's something else you'll know.

Marck
Old 08-10-2001, 07:46 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My ck engine light came on when I first got my car. Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:48 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (Twinnie)

I mean ground the ALDL and read the codes from the check engine light. You'll see if it's a lean/rich temporary condition (leabn/rich code that never triggers again), if it's something else you'll know.

Marck
Won't the light come back on if it's a permanent or recurring condition? This is why I wouldn't worry about it unless it came on again. If it is something that needs to be fixed, the light will come back on. Otherwise, if it resets and doesn't come back on, I have to think it was a temporary condition. Makes sense to me.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :seeya
Old 08-10-2001, 10:01 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette

Once the computer gets a code that causes the check engine light to come on it stores that code even after the light goes off. I would ground out the ALDL and read the codes. It can be done with a paperclip and someone on here (including myself) can tell you what the code means. That will at least let you know why the light came on.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:05 PM
Mike Dyer
Advanced

Tankman,
You have a "soft code". The light is on during that ignition cycle but does not come on during the next key cycle unless the problem returns. The code will remain in memory for 50 cycles. Most common code is 45 rich mixture. Usually comes on during hot days with a lot of idling. Best to check the codes to be sure. Mike
Old 08-11-2001, 12:26 AM
82 Super Vette
Racer

There are a number of items which may have caused a light and they are usually minor to repair (if needed). While the code is still stored I would short the A-B terminal and read the code. If you do not have access to the code problem sheets contact me and I will give you the reading. By doing this you will no longer have to worry about if there is a problem.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Astro7
Racer

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I have an 82 and the check engine light has never come on. Isn't it supposed to come on briefly when you first turn the key on? It doesn't come on then either. Should I be checking to see if it's a burnt out bulb or maybe something else? Since it's never come on I'm not sure where it's supposed to be located on the instrument panel. Between the speedo & tach maybe?
Old 08-11-2001, 07:24 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (Astro7)

astro7,
immediately to the left of your water temperature gauge you will find two warning lights.the top one is your fasten seat belt light,and the bottom one is your check engine light.if you have never seen them lit they will appear as two black rectangles.yes the check engine light should come on each time the ignition is turned on.it should go off immediately upon starting the engine.mine is apparently working correctly again,but then i'm a wimp ,and haven't been back out in serious traffic since my light came on -and stayed on while driving................................. ....................................tank man
Old 08-11-2001, 08:46 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dalannex is right. Once the computor has alerted to a code it will store the code and intermitantly re-display the warning light. Sometimes its a fluke that initiates a code. To reset the putor and erase the trouble code: 1. Make sure that the key is NOT in the on(run) posistion. 2., disconnect the battery negitive cable and wait 30 seconds. 3. re-connect the the negitive battery cable. This will erase any trouble codes that were stored. If the trouble light comes on again, check to see if the same code was logged.

If you disconnect the battery with your ignition key in the on(run) posistion, you will effectivly have given you ecm a labodamy.(erased brain) Make sure the key is nowhere near the ignition when dis-connecting the battery of a computor controlled car.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:24 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: check engine light on-82 vette (Jvette73)

If you have an in-line fuse near the battery top, leading to the ecm, just pull the fuse for 30 seconds.

Get notified of new replies

To check engine light on-82 vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light on-82 vette